Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How are these kids getting access to these automatic weapons and shouldn't we blame their parents more than anyone?

How are these kids getting access to these automatic weapons and shouldn't we blame their parents more than anyone?

There have been about 8 and 18 mass shootings up to this point in this year alone and no one is talking about the parents of these kids. That aspect of this tragedy is just not being reported or did I miss something.

Source: https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-in-2018/

Source: 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/14/school-shootings-in-america-2018-how-many-so-far

Posted - March 3, 2018

Responses

• Parents/guardians definitely need to be all up in their kids' businesses, especially their online life and snooping in their rooms.  When kids grow up and move out from under mom & dads' roofs, then they can have privacy.
      March 3, 2018 7:38 AM MST

What you will find is it is the parents themselves behind the mindset of kids who act out. Apples do not fall far from trees.
      March 3, 2018 9:52 AM MST

• I don't disagree that that is sometimes/often the case.
      March 3, 2018 9:59 AM MST

Certainly we should, especially if the father subsists off government-dispensed tax revenue, or if he owns an armaments factory or has friends who do.  
      March 3, 2018 7:51 AM MST

When I use the "18" figure everyone tells me I'm wrong. Media covers up and does not delve into the backgrounds of these individuals in order to paint a narrative of non-criminality. If they did images it strives to maintain would be destroyed. FAKE news is the propaganda wing of the status quo.
      March 3, 2018 9:49 AM MST

Some parents don't pay enough attention to the troubled kids they have. They are busy with their own lives and depend on babysitters and day care centers to raise the kids.
    And people who are not the parents often ignore signs of trouble.
      March 3, 2018 12:51 PM MST

For a fact i think parents should be made accountable when a tragedy such as the Florida shooting occurs. If it is proven they allowed the firearm involved they should also answer for the crime.
      March 9, 2018 11:47 PM MST