Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » What are some examples of compound words in the English language in which the last letter of the first word is repeated as the first letter

What are some examples of compound words in the English language in which the last letter of the first word is repeated as the first letter

of the second word?
 [Warning: there's a vast difference between compound words and two-word hyphenated phrases.  This question is only concerned with the former, not the latter.  Thank you all.]

Examples: withholding, granddaughter
~

Posted - March 6, 2018

Responses

I don't think in such terms, so coming up with any would be difficult for me.

I do think that superstructure, backbone, passport, and basketball would be four examples.
      March 6, 2018 2:12 PM MST

You may have misunderstood everything I wrote: your examples show compound words in which the first letter of the first word is repeated as the first letter of the second word, instead of the last letter first word being repeated as the first letter of the second word.
      From my examples, with + holding, and grand + daughter. 
    ~
      March 6, 2018 5:12 PM MST

I misinterpreted it, but i thought I had understood---My mind primarily works in a forward direction.

Edit:  As I was seeking to answer, I had a nagging doubt that I was going in the right direction; but I choose not to take the time to verify---my bad. This post was edited by tom jackson at March 7, 2018 2:19 PM MST
      March 7, 2018 2:01 PM MST

bookkeeper, taillight, headdress, taillike, metallike, petallike, woollike, owllike, fishhook,
    teammate, cannot, earring, newsstand, cattail
      March 6, 2018 5:18 PM MST

Eight of those qualify. The others are either grasps at straws, fake words or hyphenated words without their appropriate hyphens. 
    ~
      March 6, 2018 6:08 PM MST

But they're all good enough for scrabble.
      March 6, 2018 11:32 PM MST

No one said they're not good enough for Scrabble. This isn't Scrabble. Your response either falls into the parameters of the question or it does not, simple as that. 
    ~
      March 7, 2018 5:18 AM MST

bookkeeper

Sorry, I simply "cannot" think of any more. 
      March 6, 2018 5:18 PM MST

Lol, clever. I'll mark you down for having come up with two words that qualify. 

:)
      March 6, 2018 6:05 PM MST

Rhesus Monkey?

March 6, 2018 6:26 PM MST

overrated
    underrated
    beachhead
    bathhouse
    nighttime
    cutthroat
    withheld
    overreact
    overreach
    overrun
    overran This post was edited by Flint Ironstag at April 13, 2021 5:45 PM MDT
      April 13, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

I wonder if you enjoy wordplay just as much as (or more than) I enjoy it!

~

April 13, 2021 5:45 PM MDT