Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you find this to be exciting?

Do you find this to be exciting?

Scott Kelly has spent over 500 days in space overall, but a huge chunk of that came with a single mission which had him stay aboard the International Space Station for 342 days. His brother Mark, who is a retired astronaut, is his identical twin and has the same DNA. This provided a never-before-possible opportunity for NASA to study how long-term space travel affects the human body and the genes that make us who we are. As it turns out, space really does change us, and upon Scott’s return to Earth it was discovered that his DNA has significantly changed.

This definitely will open many research doors.  I think it is thrilling. 

Posted - March 9, 2018

Responses

I would think he will be developing some serious health problems when he gets older......you cant mess with what natures taken millions of year to process and perfect through evolution 

His muscles and heart must all be effected....he's going to end up a medical Guinea pig :(
      March 9, 2018 2:33 AM MST

Yes, I agree, he will end up a medical guinea pig. So, I'll start: When they say DNA change, I wonder what they meant.  What was affected and why.  
      March 9, 2018 6:40 AM MST

Maybe the ability to keep muscle strength....if you don't use it you loose it and that might evolve much quicker than previously though about.......it might alter the strength of artery walls making them weaker or strongest....
    minute changes might change a lot in a very short time so as to adapt to a new life quickly....  
      March 9, 2018 9:00 AM MST