Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » Does the US Constitution entitle citizens to enjoy the rights of citizenship or do we have to EARN them because they are not rights at all but privileges? Why?

Does the US Constitution entitle citizens to enjoy the rights of citizenship or do we have to EARN them because they are not rights at all but privileges? Why?

Posted - August 6, 2016

Responses

My opinion...we should have to earn them trough some sort of public service. C'mon...The kid born in NY with British parents is a US citizen? With all of the rights we have? Gimme a break.

August 6, 2016 5:39 AM MDT

First I give you a little basic U.S. Constitutional history. From its inception, it was a masterwork of a document that tied 13 quarrelsome former colonies into a united nation. As much as anything else, the Constitution described the roles of the President, the chambers of Congress, and the Judiciary. As part of getting the Constitution ratified, compromises were made between different factions which resulted in the Bill of Rights, which defines certain liberties to be recognized within the United States. The first ten amendments are the Bill of Rights.

The subject of citizenship was addressed in Amendment 14, which specifies that anyone born or naturalized in the United States is a citizen.

August 6, 2016 5:41 AM MDT

There ya have it. Anyone born on American soil is American. Whether they appreciate it or value it or respect it or honor it is something else entirely Ele. Thank you for your reply! :)

August 6, 2016 8:46 AM MDT

No we don't earn our rights...they ours from birth from our Creator.
      August 6, 2016 8:21 PM MDT

I'm talking about the Constitution m2c though I know the Creator is mentioned there. I'm pretty sure those who don't believe in a Creator would disagree with thee. Thank you for your reply! :)

August 7, 2016 2:40 AM MDT

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
    But that is the Declaration of Independence.
    As far as the Constitution...No we do not earn those rights either. They are ours at birth or at the time we become a citizen. The First 10 amendments which were passed at the same time as the Constitution are called the Bill of Rights. (Not privileges) Does a person have to earn the right to vote? Or the right to a speedy trial and to confront their accusers? Or earn their freedom to speak out against the government? Or any of our other rights listed in the Constitution? I think not, and I wouldn't want to live in a country like that.
      August 7, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

Thank you for the correction and your reply. I appreciate both. Happy Monday to thee m2c.

August 8, 2016 4:18 AM MDT

I believe that we all deserve rights,but I don't get them as an American citizen because I'm mentally disabled by law.
      August 8, 2016 4:26 AM MDT

Hi Charlie! How are you? It's so  nice to see you here. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you m'dear! :) ((hugs))

August 8, 2016 4:35 AM MDT

No. Have you? Thank you for your reply C and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)

August 16, 2016 10:23 AM MDT