Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it true it's below freezing in parts of Florida? Spring break weather? NOT. Right now it's 52 where I am in California. What's going on?

Is it true it's below freezing in parts of Florida? Spring break weather? NOT. Right now it's 52 where I am in California. What's going on?

Posted - March 15, 2018

Responses

There's a cold front coming through, it happens this time of year. Some winters are colder, some are warmer. I rather like the cold. It's better than the hot and sticky weather that will eventually come creeping in. I hope the winter lasts longer this time. It's really not that strange for the temperature to dip into the 20s or 30s this time of year and that's usually at night or the early morning, it warms up quite a bit during the day. I don't like the dry air though, I've been getting nose bleeds from it.
      March 15, 2018 6:43 AM MDT

This winter has been unseasonably warm for us Patch. A couple of weeks ago it did go down to 32 one morning but that was the last we've seen of it. It's almost spring. Since our winter has been milder than usual I sure hope our summer is too. It can get up to triple digits like 115! No picnic! I prefer dry air because you don't feel so hot and sticky. I'm sorry you get nosebleeds from dry weather. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday!  :)
      March 15, 2018 6:57 AM MDT

It was pretty warm here a week or two ago. I thought winter was over with so I got my hair lopped off for the summer then came the cold snap and I no longer had my winter mane to keep me warm. Oh well, it's supposed to warm up quite a bit later this week. I just hope it doesn't get too warm.
      March 15, 2018 7:24 AM MDT

It just seems to me that the weather is more erratic than it used to be Patch. Maybe I'm just paying more attention to it now and didn't use to do so before. I don't know!  The east coast had more and bigger storms this year, right? Why? Weird! :( This post was edited by RosieG at March 15, 2018 9:12 AM MDT
      March 15, 2018 7:33 AM MDT

Answer: The earth is trying to compensate for having excess heat in its atmosphere. 

The oceans are a big heat sink.  They “redistribute” the heat north and south (towards the poles) via currents so it can be dissipated.  Storms, such as hurricanes/typhoons, also help to dissipate heat.  Right now, the earth is overwhelmed with excess heat (more “coming in” than can be dissipated).  This is throwing off the balance in the oceans (heat in, heat dissipated).  This imbalance creates stronger cyclones (storms or areas of lower pressure) as well as stronger anticyclones (areas of fair weather or high-pressure ridges).  The bigger the imbalance, the bigger the difference between the two types of cyclones (stronger storms and stronger ridges).  “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction” (Newton’s third law).  Therefore, if there’s an anticyclone over the West Coast, there’s a cyclone over the east (drought vs. cold and snowy).  The stronger the anticyclone, the deeper its opposite cyclone will be.  (<- Meteorology 101)

March 15, 2018 11:03 AM MDT

Where does this 'excess' heat come from? Newtons third law does not apply on such a huge scale, and was formulated by him in regards to any two objects. There are too many variables concerning the atmosphere, water, and ice-caps.
      March 15, 2018 11:46 AM MDT

Yes, I used Newton's law incorrectly.  What my point was is that for every low-pressure trough, there is a high-pressure ridge.  As a trough (cyclone) deepens, it will raise a ridge (anticyclone) out in front of itself and vice versa (picture a sine wave).  They aren’t exactly proportionate as the earth wants to create equilibrium (nature abhors a vacuum).  Therefore, some may be stronger while others may be weaker, but they’re always opposite each other.

Most surface and atmospheric heat comes from the sun (radiational heating), although some is generated by the earth itself (including infrared radiation).  While much of the incoming radiation is reflected back out into space by the Earth's thick atmosphere, some of it makes it to the surface.  At night, this heat radiates outward into space (heat rises, cold air sinks).  However, certain gases in the atmosphere trap some of this heat and reflect it back down to the surface (like a blanket).  If it weren’t for this reflection, the planet would cool beyond the ability for life to exist (as we know it).

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is good at letting heat in, but not letting it back out.  The more CO2 in the atmosphere, the less heat is able to radiate back into space.  This excess heat causes surface temperatures to rise.  More heat can mean more clouds (warm air holds more moisture than cold air).  Clouds are mostly made up of Dihydrogen Monoxide (water) which is good at reflecting heat – whether that heat is coming in or going out.  Therefore, the more cloud cover there is the less heat can be radiated into space.    

March 15, 2018 5:19 PM MDT

Excess heat is created by the reduction of the earth's albedo due to the rapid reduction of the north polar ice caps, thereby causing decreased radiation of the heat returned to space. Low and high pressure systems are random as determined by the jet streams which are not predictable, therefore the the cyclonic systems are difficult to predict and are becoming increasingly random. We are both correct. IOW...Nobody knows WTF is happening.
      March 15, 2018 7:11 PM MDT

My sister lives on the Gulf Coast in northern FL. She said it was 30 F the other night.
      March 15, 2018 11:35 AM MDT

I've lived in South Florida for a few years and one winter it was cold like this.  I guess it is not that unusual at this time of year.

But soon, in June it will be 90 there every day.  Even before then.

March 15, 2018 11:39 AM MDT