Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does everything always have two sides? Upside and downside? We hope the upside is upper than the downside is down. Don't we?

Does everything always have two sides? Upside and downside? We hope the upside is upper than the downside is down. Don't we?

Posted - March 19, 2018

Responses

A perfectly flat (no thickness) surface will have two sides. Up and down are irrelevant. Common objects, such as a sheet of paper have a thickness that makes them 3 dimensional. The only surface I know of that is almost perfectly thin is the rainbow-like film of an oily substance on water such as gasoline. It is thin to the molecular level.
      March 19, 2018 12:05 PM MDT

"Everything" includes ideas and beliefs and views. It isn't just relegated to the physical Ele. The upside to being rich and famous is that you're rich and  famous. The downside is that you have no privacy and people may be drawn to you not for you but for what you can do for them. That's what I mean. In that view up and down are absolutely meaningful. If those specific words are an obstacle then substitute good and bad or debit and credit. It's all the same thing. Benefits/rewards and the opposite. Does everything have a plus and minus? Thank you for your reply.
      March 20, 2018 2:17 AM MDT

As usual, I answered the question literally.
      March 20, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

That happens with other Answermuggers too Ele. It must be in the way I ask the question. I'm always interested in broader and wider and taller and bigger so I don't often ask questions that are limited to smaller or specific. I will try to do better. Thank you for the explanation. If I had to choose I'd go for metaphor, figurative, speculation and a broad interpretation of WHAT IF? :)
      March 20, 2018 6:45 AM MDT

No Rosie......not everything has opposite sides......There is something called a Mobias Strip that can only ever have one and it's also exactly twice as long as it looks....:)D
      March 20, 2018 3:00 AM MDT

Try something very cool. Make a Mobius strip, the cut down the middle. I had my students do it and they were amazed.
      March 20, 2018 6:28 AM MDT

You get two Mobias strips ?   
      March 20, 2018 9:15 AM MDT

Pretty cool, eh?
      March 20, 2018 10:10 AM MDT

What about concepts, ideas, figurative, what if? Go beyond the physical  D and what do you find? Anything that is only up (other than the word) and doesn't have a down side?  LOVE. Too much and you get smothered. Too little and you're cheated . FAME. Good because you are known and bad because there is no privacy. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 20, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

That's not how I think and never have. My thoughts are about the physical Universe.
      March 20, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

No worries. I have a deep and abiding fascination with QUANTUM PHYSICS. Regale me with tales of black holes and quantum entanglement and worm holes and time travel and event horizons and the Big  Bang theory and when/how gravity will be seamlessly embraced and be a good fit and not the wild child it currently is. The stuff of which SCI FI is based upon and therefore my cuppa tea. Doppelgangers and parallel universes and multiple dimensions. Now yer talkin'!  I'm not kidding Ele.
      March 20, 2018 7:26 AM MDT

Excellent.
      March 20, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

So we have a future talking about such things entre nous? That is EXCELLENT indeed! Thank you for your succinct reply. My oh my. What wondrous things await?  :)
      March 20, 2018 10:25 AM MDT

I don't believe in 'dark matter or energy.'.
      March 20, 2018 11:34 AM MDT

You don't? Why? What about quantum entanglement? Do you believe in that? How about the newest wrinkle as advanced by UC Berkeley scientist Peter Hintz? There are special black holes that if electrically charged can theoretically erase your past and open up infinite futures?  It's kinda complicated. I don't follow all of it. But certain things could pass through a Cauchy horizon and dodge the singularity at its core. That is how it would be effected. I have no background in physics but my fascination is monumentally YOOOGE.  Perhaps my ignorance is the thing that keeps me open to all possibilities quantum physics- wise. Different strokes Ele. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)      
      March 21, 2018 3:02 AM MDT