Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » During a war, do you consider the soldiers of the other side 'bad guys', or just soldiers doing their job?

During a war, do you consider the soldiers of the other side 'bad guys', or just soldiers doing their job?

I wonder what they would consider us.

Posted - April 7, 2018

Responses

For me, they are the opponent. Under orders, just as we are. There is honor in serving a cause in this way. Though I don’t personally see war as an exercise in honor as much as a failure of diplomacy. 

It is necessary in war, for purposes of mission and morale, to portray the other side as ‘evil’ or as a threat in some context. Otherwise humanizing the “enemy” could dilute a soldier’s focus and aggression in the heat of battle. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 7, 2018 9:04 AM MDT
      April 7, 2018 8:01 AM MDT

Maybe that is why there were so many draft-dodgers during Vietnam.
      April 7, 2018 9:00 AM MDT

It’s just not a simple thing to accept being sent off to a distant part of the world to kill people you've never met nor had dispute with. 
      April 7, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

Would it be so wrong of them to consider us evil invaders while the press calls us liberators? I consider them unfortunate. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 7, 2018 10:49 AM MDT
      April 7, 2018 10:47 AM MDT

The Christmas Truce of 1914

https://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zxsfyrd

They have to see the other side as the enemy, it is kill or be killed. It is easier to see them as evil than as a human being like you, and this is what sol diers are taught.

However, the bigwigs, well it's just a game of chess, they don't risk their lives, they risk other people's lives.
      April 7, 2018 6:18 PM MDT