Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » What can i do by law to stop my sister from sending me to the mental home when i've done everything right?

What can i do by law to stop my sister from sending me to the mental home when i've done everything right?

She controls my life.

Posted - August 8, 2016

Responses

Hello C:

Hire a lawyer.

excon

August 8, 2016 5:27 AM MDT

I agree with excon

So sorry your going through this. :(

August 8, 2016 5:31 AM MDT

Thanks.:)
      August 8, 2016 6:42 AM MDT

Thank you. :)
      August 8, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

Yes get a lawyer and if possible have psychology evaluation to prove you are mentally sound.
      August 8, 2016 6:46 AM MDT

:-)

August 8, 2016 7:01 AM MDT

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. It really depends on the circumstances of what's happening... I know the laws here in Arizona and I don't know what your laws are where you are, but even a guardian cannot have a ward placed in a mental institution here without a judge agreeing it's necessary, and you'd better believe those judges want proof. You cannot just send someone away, even if you have medical power of attorney or anything else. It is not legal. Period. 

If your sister has legal jurisdiction over you, she can, however, have you involuntarily put on suicide watch. Here in Arizona, I believe the maximum is two days. If she doesn't have any legal control over you, she cannot do anything. Even if you were suicidal, and she knew it and called the police, if you told the police you were not, they could not take you.

I am only using suicide as an example because the laws are different for being taken into custody for suicide versus mental health care. I am not suggesting you are suicidal, only explaining where the law stands on it here in Arizona.. and, again, the laws may be different where you are, but I doubt they stray much. Even if you are your sister's "ward," your state is going to look out for you and minimize her power. 

I don't know your situation, but if you're capable, get away from her. Check out http://www.211.org/ if you need help. There are a ton of community resources for the disadvantaged that can help you with everything from housing to food to cash. 

August 8, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

I agree with the others.  You need to see a lawyer, quick.

August 8, 2016 2:12 PM MDT

• How old are you?  Get an attorney or help from someone in your real life you know and trust.  Not sure how your sister could commit you if you're OK.  You'd have to be examined prior to be admitted.  If you don't have mental issues, they wouldn't admit you.

August 8, 2016 2:19 PM MDT

I don't know US law but you don't say why your sister has so much control over you - or why you have let her take control or simply think she has. It looks as if your best course of action is to leave her and have nothing more to do with her.

You might need to take professional advice, but not necessarily from a lawyer.

September 5, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

Visit a psychiatrist and ask him to certify that you are sane. It is of course a bit of a gamble, he might agree with your sister.

September 5, 2016 3:53 PM MDT