Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Has answerMug compiled a percentage-wise geographical distribution of its members?

Has answerMug compiled a percentage-wise geographical distribution of its members?

For eample x% from the US, y% from Europe, z% from Asia, etc. 

Posted - April 13, 2018

Responses

Mayhap I can message JA and find out...Or you can.
      April 13, 2018 7:47 PM MDT

1. United States 61.23%
    2. Peru 6.89%
    3. United Kingdom 6.19%
    4. India 6.17%
    5. Canada 5.77%
    6. Australia 1.61%
    7. Philippines 1.35%
    8. Pakistan 0.57%
    9. Germany 0.54%
    10. Netherlands 0.50%

It varies a bit. This is for the past month or so. This is the first time I've seen Peru show up and I'm not aware of any members from Peru, so I suspect that's actually a proxy. The others are closer to what they normally are, though we usually have more Australians. 

I can also look at the languages browsers display, and that's perhaps more accurate. A sneaky American could easily look like he or she is coming from Peru, but is probably still going to have their language set to US English.
    1. en-us 81.53%
    2. en-gb 10.96%
    3. en-ca 1.29%
    4. en-au 0.68%

See? Sneaky Americans messing with proxies. Our American count jumped by 20% and Peru totally dropped off.

For what it's worth, I can't really drill down the data more than this. I don't track individual members and couldn't tie these numbers here to specific accounts. It's possible to do so, but I'm not keen on collecting personal data. These came from Google Analytics, which will never give identifiable info. If a group is too small, it won't even give me any info in order to protect the person's anonymity. So, for those worried about Big Brother, this is about as in-depth as I ever look. Sometimes I'll look at broad data, such as which pages and topics get the most hits, when the site is busy, which browsers are used most, and so on, but I never get down to a user level. I also take the stats with a grain of salt. As you can see, it's easy for the data to get messed up.
      April 14, 2018 3:31 AM MDT

Fascinating.
      April 14, 2018 5:38 AM MDT

• Indeed it is. Thanks, JA
      April 14, 2018 9:03 AM MDT