Discussion » Questions » Finance » NEWS FLASH. Most corporations are using their tax reductions to increase shareholder dividends.

NEWS FLASH. Most corporations are using their tax reductions to increase shareholder dividends.

Only a handful passed some down to the workers. Surprised? How many shares do you own? Trickle down? Yeah, right.

Posted - April 14, 2018

Responses

Trickle down?

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at April 14, 2018 8:03 AM MDT
      April 14, 2018 6:38 AM MDT

This is why you buy stocks, people. If you work for a company, then you have agreed to accept what they pay you. As long as the checks clear, the company has fulfilled its financial commitment to you. If you are unhappy with that sum, renegotiate or work someplace else.

If you own stock in a company you have put your money INTO that company, it’s profits or losses become yours. 
    Would you as a worker accept a cut in pay everytime your employer takes a loss? This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 14, 2018 8:06 AM MDT
      April 14, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

Sure...I'll sell my 7 year old car and buy some shares. Maybe this time next year I will be a billionaire. Go trump.
      April 14, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

Clearly, not everyone is in position to buy stock, invest in the markets, collect dividends, etc. 
    But whose fault is that? Ya gotta start somewhere, or ya never start at all.
    For some background, I started a company with my buddy after I got out of the military. Built it into a great success over 14 years. Worked like a madman. Sold my stake, built my portfolio and retired at 44. Not to get impolite, you are certainly well informed, but if you’re tooling around in a 7 yr old car, what does that say about your career choices? It doesn’t take a billionaire to own stocks, but I can guarantee you there isn’t one who doesn’t. This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 14, 2018 1:29 PM MDT
      April 14, 2018 11:34 AM MDT

My career choices? 20 in the US Navy...20 teaching high school. Pretty good careers. I wasn't in it for the money.
      April 14, 2018 1:29 PM MDT

Well said. Noble choices indeed. It galls me how little importance is given to teacher compensation. 
      April 14, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

Unemployment is still a problem. Many (I dare say most) of those on a minimum wage are powerless to renegotiate and there isn't anyplace else that's hiring.
      April 14, 2018 8:39 PM MDT

What should not be missed is companies creating the illusion of profit using savings from not paying taxes. Not so different from savings from laying off workers. The country suffers and their stock is not worth as much as it is quoted. They really are not making more money and resorting to tricks to keep their shareholders happy. Again, the government is pumping printed money into the economy to keep it afloat. Lost taxes must be gained from another source since spending has not decreased.
      April 14, 2018 8:19 AM MDT

There are a lot of 'not very rich' stockowner who will benefit from the higher dividends. Of course the BIG stock-owners are pretty rich and that is where most of the dividends will go.
      April 14, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

Unfortunately the workers pay is not keeping pace with the increase in costs.  The teachers just get a pay raise in Alabama? IDK someplace like that but it is still 5-6 thousand less than they were earning a few years ago due to the increase in cost of living.  This is why there are so many people who can't afford to pay a house or rent payment.  The cost go up every year but the pay does not. 
      April 14, 2018 6:16 PM MDT

Trickle down economics has been proven to be a falsehood again and again. Still, the offensively rich promulgate it because it benefits them. It doesn't promote jobs, because the majority of customers didnt get a pay rise so the existing employees don't have any more to do. It can adversely impact jobs because wages aren't keeping up with inflation - the dollars aren't going as far as they used to so the majority actually has less to spend, ergo the employees have less to do. Public service jobs are cut because government revenue has been slashed. Infrastructure spending drops, same reason.
      April 14, 2018 8:47 PM MDT