Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it proper to reciprocate a LinkedIn "recommendation" for someone with greater status than yourself?

Is it proper to reciprocate a LinkedIn "recommendation" for someone with greater status than yourself?

Someone who is well-connected and of high status in the community gave me a LinkedIn recommendation. She's the kind of person with an upper-level corporate job, who sits on a bunch of boards, and gets media exposure. I feel silly giving her a recommendation back because anyone who sees her profile is already going to know who/ how she is. Moreover, I only know her because I worked for her for a while and there are other recommendations on her profile from politicians and people with serious connections/ prestige. So, yeah, I don't want to insult her by not reciprocating, but I suspect nothing I could say would come close to what's already there and I'm betting she probably won't bother to share mine because I'm one of the "little guys." Still... etiquette. Bah. What say ye?

FWIW, I had no idea she was so connected until I saw her profile, and now I feel twice as silly because I didn't realize she was well-known while I worked for her. 

Posted - April 15, 2018

Responses

I know virtually nothing about the etiquette of LinkedIn: I've deleted every single message I've ever received from them without even reading it. 
    ~
      April 15, 2018 10:19 PM MDT

Make that a 'me too'...
      April 16, 2018 5:57 AM MDT

That makes the recommendations useless, now doesn't it?  
      April 16, 2018 7:01 PM MDT