Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Sports » THANK GOODNESS FOR THE OLYMPICS! IT IS BLOWING AWAY ALL COVERAGE OF AMERICAN POLITICS! What is YOUR favorite event? Why?

THANK GOODNESS FOR THE OLYMPICS! IT IS BLOWING AWAY ALL COVERAGE OF AMERICAN POLITICS! What is YOUR favorite event? Why?

Posted - August 8, 2016

Responses

Women's rugby. :-)

August 8, 2016 1:19 PM MDT

I agree sweetie, a break from lies and discord.  It's awesome, my favs. are the floor exercise and the high bar, how do those guys do it!!!

August 8, 2016 4:50 PM MDT

Women's Gymnastics
      August 8, 2016 5:02 PM MDT

My favorite event...It's a toss up between boxing and ribbon twirling. LOL

August 8, 2016 5:08 PM MDT

Me too Baba! The top 3 American gals are on a Gymnastics team that is supposed to be THE VERY BEST female American Olympic Gymnastics team there ever was!  I don't know about the American men's team. I saw a couple of male gymnasts from China that were beyond amazing!  Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)

August 9, 2016 3:58 AM MDT

Ribbon twirling? Boxing is a violent sport Ele. WHY do you like it? Unless you're teasing me. Are you? Is that what the LOL means? You're not serious? Seriously...what is your favorite Olympic event and  why? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)

August 9, 2016 4:00 AM MDT

Men's or  both men's and women's floor exercises.? Women don't do the high bar do they? Gymnastics is my favorite although I really like the diving as well. Thank you for your reply BSurf! :)

August 9, 2016 4:01 AM MDT

Hi Rosie:

Is it really doing that? I haven't seen the ratings.
      August 9, 2016 4:04 AM MDT

Well I took the liberty of assuming that what is true for me is true for everyone StuB. Which is probably inaccurate. I don't know what the ratings are. What I do know is that MSNBC which I watch all the time is covering the Olympics as are other channels. So I am free of anything tainted by Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton because watching the Olympic athletes is ever so much more satisfying and I don't get ticked off! I highly recommend sticking with it and watching it. It is a wonderful respite from the daily grind of sameoldsameoldsameold crap that is all you hear. Repetition and attack is all the pols are dishing out and they are so dull and uninteresting. Not so the Olympic athletes. What is your favorite event and are you following it? Thank you for  your response and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)

August 9, 2016 4:18 AM MDT

Field sports. I want to see Erik get the gold. And yes...I was pulling your chain. I do like boxing though.

August 9, 2016 6:42 AM MDT

Not really. I watched the conventions, alternating between MSNBC and Fox News, but I don't watch politics much on TV - I generally follow it on realclearpolitics.com. On TV, I watch baseball if the Mets are playing, trashy LMN movies, Investigation Discovery crime shows, Law and Order SVU, or South Park. I only watch the Olympics for minutes at a time - yesterday I saw two guys do cannonballs together in synchronized platform diving. When they finished, they were actually shown going behind a wall and taking a shower - how exciting, lol!

Of course, one cannot avoid politics with the Olympics. Did you know that a Saudi Arabian judo person forfeited a match to avoid the possibility of facing an Israeli in the following round?
      August 9, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

I love badminton..  They CRUSH it.

excon

August 9, 2016 6:58 AM MDT

August 9, 2016 6:58 AM MDT

You're kidding right? Geez excon that is the  ONLY "sport" I could play at all because the birdie flew so slowly I could get my racquet on it.  I wasn't good at  it. I was just less lousy at it but at least I had fun playing in high school! Thank you for your reply! :)

August 9, 2016 7:34 AM MDT

Hahahahahah! That's funnee hunnee!   "Balls it up"? You mean screw it up or something else Lucia? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)

August 9, 2016 7:41 AM MDT

I did not know that.  That's terribly sad. I thought the entire point of the Olympic Games was to celebrate all athletes and be completely apolitical. Sigh. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I suppose I'm the only one in the world who has never watched an episode of South Park. Don't tell anyone. I don't want to be bashed for it! D/ya ever watch the history channel or Science channel? Every once in a great while Ken Burn does a new historical series. I think they are shown on the history channel although it could be PBS. And there was a nifty series awhile back on the Science Channel with Morgan Freeman as host..."Through the Wormhole". I love quantum physics but have ZERO background in it so the shows made the information I f ind so fascinating accessible. It was really great! Jim watches tennis and golf channels. He isn't a fan of scifi so I sneak those in when he's out and about \playing tennis or golf. :) Oh. I love Mariska Hargitay as well as the other actors on SVU. I think it is a cut above the rest .  I read once long ago that Jayne Mansfield had a genius IQ! Who knew? She died so tragically.  But I digress! :)

August 9, 2016 7:51 AM MDT

Of course. Yes.  Well we're pulling for Erik too. When I Googled him I showed Jim his picture and we read a little of his bio. I explained your association with him as a former student. It's really exciting for you I betcha. Did you know at the time he was your student that he also had ambition to be in the Olympics? Anyway thanks for sharing that. So what's the lure of boxing for you Ele? If you don't mind my asking?

August 9, 2016 7:58 AM MDT