Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » Has anyone ever become angry with you because of your ability or your inability to speak a particular language? *

Has anyone ever become angry with you because of your ability or your inability to speak a particular language? *

*This does NOT refer to how well or how poorly you spoke the language, it merely refers to the fact that you knew or did not know the language.

~

Posted - April 21, 2018

Responses

Yes. I was once asked to translate by an English only speaker, who could not understand the broken English of another Dane. The Danish guy got very angry with me for not thinking that he spoke perfect English and taking the job. (PS: all Danes think their English is just fine. It is particularly noticeable when artists or high level politicians speak English on public occasions (and make ridiculous mistakes) )
    There is even a song about it:

April 21, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

That has never happened to me. However, I have gotten close to angry at numerous students over the years who had trouble with the English language. And I'm NOT talking about the girl from Vietnam or the brother and sister from Lagos or the two Haitian refugees etc. They spoke great English.
      April 22, 2018 8:06 AM MDT