Active Now

Thebigd
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » I've read that a "gay" gene has been discovered. Would there be genes for other aspects of the personality also, e.g. a "short-temper" gene, or a "lazy" gene, etc.?

I've read that a "gay" gene has been discovered. Would there be genes for other aspects of the personality also, e.g. a "short-temper" gene, or a "lazy" gene, etc.?

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

Genes don't quite work the way you appear to think they do.

There is a growing body of evidence indicating that many human behavioral traits are the result of epigentic interaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

To summarize epigenetics, the presence of particular genes creates the POTENTIAL for a particular trait to be expressed, but whether or not the gene does express and create the trait is dependent up ENVIRONMENTAL factors.

For example, there is substantial evidence indicating children who are born to mothers who have previously given birth to multiple male children are statistically more likely to have homosexual orientation. To my knowledge, there are only speculative explanations for this statistical fact.

Another intersting case is neuoscientist James Fallon, who discovered that he has many genetic and physiological markers associated with serial killers. Yet Fallon is an upstanding law-abiding citizen/scientist. Fallon believes because he had a normal loving childhood, his genetic propensity to be a serial killer was not expressed, while most of the serial killers he studies had rough/abusive childhoods.

So, while geneticists may discover genes which tend to be associated with laziness or a short temper, it will almost certainly be the case those genes are moderated by environmental factors.

August 10, 2016 12:38 AM MDT

Brilliant post!

August 10, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

• I agree with you!
      August 10, 2016 2:52 AM MDT

I was born with the grammar one!

:)
      August 10, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

• Thank you so much, Old School, for a well-thought out answer. This certainly is new light. 

August 10, 2016 9:45 AM MDT

• No, Randy, you have two grammar genes: the first is called "usage of proper grammar"; the second is called "unnecessary criticism of others' improper grammar."

August 10, 2016 9:47 AM MDT

Hello N:

Sure...  There's 1,000's genes that haven't yet revealed their purpose..  Last I heard, scientists were calling 'em junk genes.  But, that's only because they have NO IDEA what they do.  But, they DO something, I'm sure.. 

excon

August 10, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

I've never heard of a gay gene study.   It may be so. 
    A gene is a locus (or region) of DNA that encodes a functional RNA or protein product, and is the molecular unit of heredity. The transmission of genes to an organism's offspring is the basis of the inheritance of phenotypic traits.
    Most biological traits are under the influence of polygenes (many different genes) as well as the gene–environment interactions.
    It is only one factor of many. 
      August 10, 2016 10:04 AM MDT

August 10, 2016 10:05 AM MDT

Hello t:

I knew that..  Specially the stuff about the polygene..

excon

August 10, 2016 10:06 AM MDT

May be.

August 10, 2016 11:58 AM MDT

That means you've used up your quota.  If you agree with me any more this week, people will start talking. :-)

FYI: SKOS doesn't appear to like me very much.  I've no idea why, but, if or whether he hates my guts is irrelevant here.  His was still a stellar post.

August 10, 2016 12:20 PM MDT

• To get back on track I'll disagree with your next few posts, ok?

August 10, 2016 5:22 PM MDT

•   August 10, 2016 7:17 PM MDT

• I thought the human genome project identified each gene and its role. Perhaps I've misunderstood something. Must get my reading glasses out again. :)

August 10, 2016 7:20 PM MDT

• Thank you, Sharonna. The answers to this question have thrown up a lot of information I wasn't aware of. And I thank you for your part in increasing my knowledge. 

August 10, 2016 7:24 PM MDT

Lol, you're right.

August 30, 2016 5:39 AM MDT

• I usually am in such matters. :)

August 30, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

My goodness, such modesty!

August 31, 2016 12:47 AM MDT

• Yes. My modesty is something I'm proud of.

August 31, 2016 1:34 AM MDT

Well, as long as you mention it, it can't be ALL bad.

August 31, 2016 6:22 AM MDT