Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If TRUE LOVE lasts forever and is always faithful than love that doesn't last was never true? Why marry if you cheat on/lie to? Expedience?

If TRUE LOVE lasts forever and is always faithful than love that doesn't last was never true? Why marry if you cheat on/lie to? Expedience?

What kind of expedience? Financial reasons (gold digger/gigolo). Social reasons (singles aren't "family" people). Business reasons. (Marriage makes you seem more reliable/dependable).

Posted - May 19, 2018

Responses

• Love is WORK. If it is to be maintained and nurtured, it takes sacrifice, patience, forebearance and intestinal fortitude. As love is described in scripture, it never seeks its own way, nor is it demanding. Too many people have no concept of this and therefore have no real understanding of the nature of love. They seek escape instead of giving attention to the needs of the relationship.
      May 19, 2018 9:23 AM MDT

Love is ALWAYS faithful.  It's selfishness that's not.
    Many people don't understand what love really is.  They think it's simply a "feeling".  Feelings come and go and are almost always dependent on circumstances.   True (real) love isn't dependant on circumstances but is perpetual.   True love is putting the other person's needs ahead of your own.  When one marries for expedience they're putting their desires (ants/needs) ahead of the other person (what can I get out of the other person).  That's not love, but selfishness.  It's hard for love to take root where selfishness exists.  
      May 19, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

I think when you are in the throes/midst of things it is difficult to evaluate them in the moment. I think many folks believe it is "true love" they experience. I think "true love" grows over time. Couples who don't love truly become annoyed with "the other" over time. What used to be charming quirks/idiosyncracies in the beloved become intolerable. Whereas true love gets deeper, stronger, kinder, wiser. At least it seems so to me. I've been in "like" a few times. This relationship is true love because I see the difference in me and how I feel and what I think and how I act and what I say. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      May 20, 2018 4:03 AM MDT

Usually what they experience is infatuation.  Marriage is NOT easy!  Being with the same person day in and day out will drive anyone nuts.  As you said, cute things will turn into annoyances.  Love overcomes these.  No, love doesn't (necessarily) make them less annoying, but if both partners puts the needs of their spouse over themselves (love), they become more "tolerable".  Love means you want what's best for the other person.
      May 20, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

Precisely! Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak! :)
      May 21, 2018 3:44 AM MDT