Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » According to a recent poll (see details below) 59% of white evangelical protestants say America has lost its Christian identity. Agree/dis/why?

According to a recent poll (see details below) 59% of white evangelical protestants say America has lost its Christian identity. Agree/dis/why?

It was the Public Religion Research Institute and Brookings Institution Poll.

Posted - June 27, 2016

Responses

The "melting pot" had a Christian identity ????????????

June 27, 2016 7:51 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Evangelicals THEMSELVES brought this about by supporting the very UNCHRISTIAN Donald J. Trump. I dunno WHAT came over them...  This is what Focus on the Family, James Dobson said in 1998, during the impeachment of Bill Clinton,

"As it turns out, character DOES matter. You can’t run a family, let alone a country, without it. How foolish to believe that a person who lacks honesty and moral integrity is qualified to lead a nation and the world!   In the Book of James the question is posed, “Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring” (James 3:11 NIV). The answer is no…"

Clearly, he DRANK some koolade.

excon

June 27, 2016 9:02 AM MDT

Perhaps some look at the government the same way Christians are supposed to look at overseers in the Christian Congregation?

(1 Timothy 3:1-5) This statement is trustworthy: If a man is reaching out to be an overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. 2 The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent, but reasonable, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money, 4 a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having his children in subjection with all seriousness 5 (for if any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he care for the congregation of God?),

June 27, 2016 10:25 AM MDT

June 27, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

I definitely think there was a time in this country when people respected biblical principles much more than today.

June 28, 2016 11:47 PM MDT

I totally agree with thee Autumn. When it began to change and why is something I don't know or understand. Thank you for your reply m'dear!  :)

June 29, 2016 2:11 AM MDT

There was a time when religion was not entwined in politics Step. You cannot  serve two masters. You cannot serve your religion and serve your political party. People made choices. That is the result. Thank you for your answer and Happy Wedneday!  :)

June 29, 2016 2:14 AM MDT

You cannot serve two masters tex. You cannot serve your religion and your political party simultaneously. You have to choose and some made that choice and you see the results of that choice. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Wednesday! :)

June 29, 2016 2:15 AM MDT

You cannot serve two masters Uc. You cannot serve your religion and your political party. I think the more they became involved in crass politics the less they had time to be involved with their religious beliefs. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)

June 29, 2016 2:16 AM MDT

You cannot serve two masters excon. You cannot serve your religion and your political party. The more political these folks became the less time they had for their religion. You are absolutely correct. They brought it on themselves. I doubt very much that God is pleased with them! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday! :)

June 29, 2016 2:19 AM MDT

• If they say so then I trust that that is how they feel or think.

I suspect it may be due to the flow of immigrants of different skin colours and faiths from around the world.

But America has been a "racial" potpourri for many generations, so maybe there are other explanations. Perhaps white, evangelical Protestants have congregated in specific regions and so have been buffered from feeling the effects of the immigrations until recently. Or perhaps the media have been drawing more attention to the most recent arrivals and their issues and differences.

Identity is not static. Whether it is the sense of "I" over time, or the sense of who and what a nation of people believe themselves to be, the perception of identity is always subject to change.

June 29, 2016 2:21 AM MDT

(2 Timothy 3:1-5) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

June 29, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

Hello again, Rosie:

I have a further observation..  Truly, I DON'T think "evangelicals" support Trump.  But, the evangelicals I'm talking about go to church EVERY day, and LIVE an evangelical life.  I simply do NOT believe they're hypocrites.  

Then you have the people who CALL themselves evangelicals, just like Donald Trump CALLS himself a Christian..  They listen to Trump, and he winks.  They yell back, "we evangelicals LOVE you", and they wink too..

excon

June 29, 2016 9:06 AM MDT

Touche excon! I agree with thee. You can call yourself anything you want. Doesn't make it so.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)

July 2, 2016 3:27 AM MDT