Active Now

Randy D
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Are the Olympics still relevant?

Are the Olympics still relevant?

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

I watch them everyday! Whoa!!! 

August 11, 2016 6:14 AM MDT

It depends very much upon the sport. For some sports (e.g. basketball, baseball, etc.) there are plenty of other competitions which render the Olympics somewhat irrelevant.

For other sports (e.g. rhythmic gymnastics, diving, velodrome cycling, etc.), the Olympics are the ONLY event that matters, at least in terms of general audience attention and monetary opportunities.

August 11, 2016 6:34 AM MDT

They become more irrelevan as doping increases. I also don't believe that profesional sports players should be permitted to compete in the Olympics.
      August 11, 2016 2:01 PM MDT

It is different now, like most everything.  It was great when America was full of people who loved America and was proud of what our teams did at the games.   We have foreigners on our teams now, with which I take issue.  We have team members sneering during the playing of our National Anthem.  She should be sent home today.  The games are not supposed to be political.  Oh my!   I haven't even thought about watching even one minute.  

August 11, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

• Well, they've kind of have always been political with various boycotting and such.

August 11, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

• No. Only apps and Pokemon are relevant.

August 11, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

Pokemon is life.
      August 11, 2016 3:39 PM MDT

• Relevant to what?

August 11, 2016 10:21 PM MDT

They shouldn't be political but all the good little Nazis should be compelled to stand at attention and salute when the Fatherland's anthem is played...;-D...

The Authoritarian capacity for meta-cognitive suppression is sometimes scary to behold...;-D...

August 11, 2016 10:25 PM MDT

Relevant to what? The host country loses a fortune putting up all those buildings. The athletes get food and clothes, but sometimes they have to sell their clothes to buy food. The first place winner might get a good income because of it, but the others end up working for wages in some shitty job. The only people who do pretty well are the princes and dukes who make up the board. So what exactly are we relating to with this pageant.

The only thing that ever interested me was the ice skating, and only because the girls always skate fanny first.

August 11, 2016 10:33 PM MDT

• I'd say that the mere existence of the refugee team is a credit to the Olympic spirit. It's a good thing, a small thing, but a good thing. Good point.

August 14, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

• The games are not supposed to be.political but you object to foreigners being in the American team. I don't understand that. What do you mean foreigners?

August 14, 2016 1:48 PM MDT

• They still have the potential to be a forum for peace in which rivals can play rather than fight.

They still have the potential to display the possibilities in human excellence, if they can ever get rid of drug cheats.

But I'm very dubious about the costs.

Sydney still has not recovered from the expenses: taxpayers will be paying for it for generations to come. Although the facilities are well used, they will never earn enough income to pay for their construction.

The event never attracted the overseas visitors that were imagined. Sydneysiders left in droves, partly because they were encouraged to in order to create more accommodation for visitors, partly to escape the expected hoards. Instead, the city became a ghost town.

Commerce dropped dead.

Suddenly there were no traffic jams and no pollution. The city was gloriously beautiful and peaceful.

August 15, 2016 12:31 PM MDT

Absolutely...But not to the "poorly educated".

August 16, 2016 3:24 PM MDT

A "No" would have been just fine.

August 16, 2016 3:28 PM MDT