Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Will geckos eradicate a spider problem?

Will geckos eradicate a spider problem?

I was on my patio yesterday and saw a brown recluse, but I've literally got dozens of geckos that come out every night to eat. I don't want to spray and kill the geckos, but I'm also not a fan of brown recluse spiders. O_o Can I trust that the geckos will naturally eradicate them?

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

Call GEICO and ask them, lol.
      August 10, 2016 11:45 PM MDT

Geckos do eat spiders. I'ver personally watched a Madagascar gecko chase a cane spider across our laundry room. But it's doubtful the geckos will get 100% of the spiders. If the spiders were that easy to exterminate, they would no longer be a viable species.

Can you compromise and spray as necessary on the inside of the house?

This guy has been hanging out by my shoes just outside my door the past few days....;-D...

August 11, 2016 12:33 AM MDT

The violin spider scares the heck out of me JA, I would take extra measures to ensure their demise. I have a friend that got bit on his thumb by a recluse and ended up having his hand amputated, me, I would get a professional company to exterminate them. 

August 11, 2016 5:57 AM MDT

Hello JA:

Nahh, but spiders can eradicate the mosquito problem..

excon

August 11, 2016 6:08 AM MDT

August 12, 2016 10:28 AM MDT

I don't like to do sprays at all over health concerns. I know they say they're safe and all... life is grand as soon as it's dry, but we're still just coming to understand the damage that long term exposure to certain chemicals does, and with kids in the house, I feel better not doing it. Even still, I don't see many bugs inside. We have a couple of cats that are pretty good about catching anything that's foolish enough to slip in. When I do see something start to manifest itself outside or an increase in strays that make it in, I'll sometimes do the thresholds and window ledges. Mind you, this question was because I saw a single spider that probably came over from a neighbor's house and I killed it. l wouldn't be as calm as you are about it being in the house, let alone by my shoes. O_o If that was the case, it would be all-out warfare. 

August 12, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

Oh my gosh, that's awful. I've heard stories and have been bitten before, both by brown recluse and black widow spiders. Neither is pleasant, that's for sure, but it wasn't anything I even got medical treatment for. I only saw one and it was outside, but if I start to see a population boom, I might start looking into alternatives.

August 12, 2016 10:39 AM MDT

Hmm... then what gets rid of the spiders when they've had their fill of mosquitos? 

August 12, 2016 10:40 AM MDT