Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Trump signs Right To Try for terminally ill patients. More treatment options will be available, saving countless lives?

Trump signs Right To Try for terminally ill patients. More treatment options will be available, saving countless lives?

Posted - June 1, 2018

Responses

An interesting observation.
      June 1, 2018 9:21 AM MDT

It's about time.  I think it is an excellent idea, give people a chance. 
      June 1, 2018 5:03 PM MDT

Wealthy people. 
      June 1, 2018 7:08 PM MDT

Anyone who  can afford what they negotiate with the drug companies.  The Act is not welfare.  It simply gets out of the way of people trying experimental treatment when they have no other options.  The government/taxpayers are not going to pay for it.  It really isn't new anyway, but does get rid of FDA red tape.  However, the FDA already has a program where people can apply for permission to accept experimental treatments as a last resort.  Many die while the FDA is doing what government does best............use up valuable time with bureaucratic  nonsense.  This embarrassed the FDA.   Boo hoo hoo.
      June 1, 2018 8:45 PM MDT

See previous posts, esp the one by the author of this question, indicating that these experimental treatments would be FREE! 

As I said, wealthy people. Many insurance companies don't even cover the more expensive FDA approved treatments. 

Would be wonderful if the government would quit spending so much on the welfare of its warfare and more on the real welfare of its citizens.  

wel·fare
    ˈwelˌfer/
    noun

1. the health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

No wonder you think it's a dirty word. 

June 1, 2018 9:46 PM MDT

There are supplemental insurance products now that cover experimental treatments and procedures along with catastrophic health treatments and drugs like some of the really expensive cancer or HIV cocktail drugs and also genetic stuff/stem cell stuff/transplants that regular medical insurance doesn't cover.  I don't know if individuals can buy them (yet) but my former employer pays for it for its employees and retirees.  I would expect that product to become more commonplace since now there will be more people attempting experimental treatment (I assume).   It may not be the big rush some are looking for since it's really not new.   

I don't think it's a dirty word.  Means-tested entitlement programs have been called welfare much longer than you and I have been around. We could go back to the depression-era term of "relief" I suppose.   I actually can think of words to call them that are much more offensive descriptive than welfare.  
      June 2, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

At least now they dont have to wait for the beureaucratic nonsense. ;)
      June 2, 2018 5:49 AM MDT