Active Now

Thebigd
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Wasn't "WAR GAMES" a movie with Matthew Broderick decades ago? Planned joint yearly military exercises. Of any value? Why do them?

Wasn't "WAR GAMES" a movie with Matthew Broderick decades ago? Planned joint yearly military exercises. Of any value? Why do them?

Posted - June 13, 2018

Responses

"War Games" are more for show than preparedness.  It's like putting out a giant billboard that reads, "look how tough we are!".   While it's good to always be ready for a confrontation, shows of force are meant to stave off a confrontation.  Of course, sometimes the "show of force" can backfire, making the enemy more confrontational.  However, if the enemy one is "showing off" to has a lesser force,then they can bluster al they want (put up or shut up).  This is what's happened with North Korea (NK).  Between the US and SK, NK didn't stand a chance at winning a confrontation (unless, like before, China took NK's is).  The best NK could do was parade its 'arsonal' through its streets before its leader (like many communist countries).
      June 13, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Are you pro- or anti-them? Are you pro- or anti- that King don will suspend the joint military exercises with South Korea to APPEASE Kim Jung Un? Ever expect appeasement  from King don?
      June 13, 2018 12:20 PM MDT

I think it was a BIG mistake to promise to end the war games so soon.  Kimmy's a shrewd cookie.  He may look harmless, but he played Trump like a fiddle.  The war games made Kimmy nervous.  They kept showing that NK had nothing compared to the US and SK if an aggression broke out (thus the nukes option).  No one likes to be made to feel inferior to others (which is what the war games were meant to do).  It's demoralizing.  Even Kimmys subjects were rattled.  With the war games gone, Kimmy can once again flaunt himself over his country.

War games are ok to a point (to be prepared), but using them like a proud peacock showing off its plumage is a bit much (which is what the US is doing).  Unfortunately, Kimmy's going to deplume the proud peacock one feather at a time.
      June 13, 2018 1:18 PM MDT

As I understand it Shuhak (correct me if I got it wrong) the joint military exercises are done yearly between the US and South Korea. The point is to be assured that we have our ducks in a row and know how to proceed in case there is a need. It's kind of like a pianist practicing so that when he/she is playing in a recital nothing goes wrong. There is planning and coordination involved. It's so shocking to me because King don is the one who said "why have nuclear missiles if we never use them?" Not recently but in recent memory. Of course he is not a proponent of studying/reading/learning/testing. Everything with him is gut instinct and crapshoot hipshot adlib. SIGH. Anyway Kim got everything he wanted. So did King don! He now KNOWS he will get the Noble Peace Prize. He said the nuclear threat from North Korea is over! I guess we can take that to the bank. King don said we can sleep well now. Funny. Somehow I don't believe him. My bad. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 14, 2018 3:18 AM MDT