Active Now

Thebigd
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Scenario number one. A US family is fishing in Lake Erie and accidentally crosses into Canadian territory.

Scenario number one. A US family is fishing in Lake Erie and accidentally crosses into Canadian territory.

The Canadian Coast Guard stops them, boards their boat and cruises to the Canadian station in Windsor, where the Parents are arrested and the children are taken to a detention center. Fair and square? Trumpeteers OK with that?

Posted - June 19, 2018

Responses

A number of problems here. There are treaties that deal with this scenario.
    *Note- I am not a Trump supporter

Fishing in Lake Erie requires a permit, certified by either country. Caught without would result in a fine, not imprisonment.  

If you enter into Canada absent a passport, your family would not be subject to separation. You would be held pending turnover to US authorities, probably fined, or have the boat impounded. If you have passports, you may be subject to a warning or a fine and ordered back to the US.
    If criminal activity were discovered, or you seek to immigrate or request asylum, then that is a different matter and subject to relevent US and Canadian laws. (It’s harder to move to Canada than it used to be)

The comparative scenario also fails to account that is virtually impossible to “accidentally” cross into American territory from the south. 
      June 19, 2018 8:53 PM MDT

My question was just a ridiculous hypothetical scenario based on the current situation occurring at the US/Mexican border. Also, I don't understand your final statement, as I did not say anything about traveling South. I will change it to American family. Also, in Ohio, we only need an Ohio fishing license, not a federal permit unless we are fishing commercially. I would not go near the border. This post was edited by Element 99 at June 20, 2018 9:58 AM MDT
      June 20, 2018 6:44 AM MDT

Your hypothetical was obviously in reference to the mess at the Mexican border instigated by the Trump Admin. I sought to point out that accidentally crossing the border (as in your scenario) is so unlikely as to be impossible. 
    I get where you were going with it though. 
      June 20, 2018 10:08 AM MDT

I think it would depend on their ethnicity.
      June 20, 2018 9:02 AM MDT