Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever switch sides? Why?

Ever switch sides? Why?

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

In the light of new information, facts, evidence or compelling argument I have been known to switch sides... politically I fluctuate, depending on the policies and promises.. .  I would go further and say that those who firmly are fixed on one point of view tend to be worrying, it's like they cannot learn, they cannot adjust or adapt and blindly believe.. 
      July 9, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

My folks were life-long Democrats Addb though not all that political. I just slid in to being a Democrat by figuring out that Dems had heart and cared about people whereas Republicans focused on making money and revered whatever it took to do that.  Extreme right-wing or racism or religion never played a part in THAT Republican party. The Democratic party was for regular people and the Republican party was for the rich people. Through the years I did encounter Republicans whom I admired but that was when Republican meant something very different than it does today. Many of those Republicans would not be allowed in the Trumpetan party today. They would be banned/barred/ridiculed. I could have seen myself voting for one of them in the long ago. They were smart and had conservative principles but they had heart. They did not automatically vilify poor people. It's a far different world today. Not in a better way. Where it will end or if it will end I don't know. SIGH. I long for what used to be. Some former Republicans who fled the party due to the Trumpetan takeover now sound like Democrats.  That a single ignorant arrogant inexperienced inept puppet clown could do that to life-long Republicans is a very sad thing in my opinion.  Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      July 10, 2018 3:22 AM MDT

No the sides switch on me!  I grew up a liberal and always considered the things I believed in to be liberal.  Not all those things are considered to be "conservative" and what is now considered liberal is just to me outrageous and impractical and out there somewhere off the edge. 
      July 9, 2018 11:57 AM MDT

Yes, I used to be a prochoice Democrat...in fact my first vote was for Bill Clinton. 

July 9, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

When I was younger I naively followed my parents and was a modern liberal democrat. Now that I think for myself I am an independent. I lean to the right overall but I hate both major parties.
      July 9, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

Not much to like there anywhere is there? Thank you for your reply Rizz and Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 10, 2018 6:06 AM MDT

Happy Tuesday to you as well.
      July 10, 2018 10:04 AM MDT

I'm thinking about it really hard.
      July 9, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

Long ago when the Republican party was very different there were some Republican politicians whom I admired. Yes they had Conservative principles but they also had heart. They did not vilify Democrats. They actually reached across the aisle and worked with them and did not believe that "compromise" was a dirty word. What was missing from that Republican party was fanatic obsessive hatred of "the other", racism, bigotry, extreme right-wing views and religious demands. Sure there was probably some of that here and there but over-all the two-party system worked fairly well. There was no Mitch McConnell playing dirty tricks. There was no Paul Ryan who was spineless and had no control over the House. Congress did its job. Was it perfect? Of course not. What is? But it was working. The Trumpetan hostile takeover of the country completely changed everything. Former Republicans who fled the party sound like Democrats. Republicans of long ago would never be allowed in the Trumpetan party. They would be targets. Attacked. Destroyed. It's a completely different ballgame and the rules change all the time. There is no accountability/punishment for doing wrong. It is cheered. All those rallies with all those besotted attendees who cheer when a man ridicules the METOO movement, attacks others viciously and repeats repeats repeats repeats lies intended to riotize the crowd is shocking. It is what it is. Those folks are exactly whom they are and will not change. So goodbye to what used to be. Hello catastrophe! :(  I don't know what side you're on Zack. None of my business. Thank you for your brief reply and apologies for my lengthy response. :( This post was edited by RosieG at July 10, 2018 3:34 AM MDT
      July 10, 2018 3:33 AM MDT

I don't think I ever really chose a side in the first place, if "side" means a political party.

Back in the late '80s and early '90s I would have considered myself to be on the Left politically, but without a strong party allegiance. I was cautiously optimistic about the Labour Party's election victory in 1997 - I never really warmed to Tony Blair but saw him as a necessary evil. However, I gradually became disillusioned with Labour and the Left generally during the Blair and Brown years, on account of their inefficient spending programmes, attacks on civil liberties, failure to tackle welfare dependency, and many other reasons. But by 2010 I felt the Conservatives were not really offering much of an alternative. I was generally in favour of the Government's "austerity" programme (a programme of budget cuts to eliminate the structural deficit) - which was a Conservative policy but pretty much endorsed by the other two main parties as well, although I changed my mind about this as well when it became clear it was unnecessary and wasn't working.

Now I would consider myself a non-aligned centrist - my political stances are eclectic and there isn't any major national party that I can see myself wanting to vote for. So I may have subtly moved to the Right but become more anti-establishment as well.
      July 10, 2018 1:17 PM MDT