Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » History » If other countries had the power to impose sanctions on the US, do you think they would?

If other countries had the power to impose sanctions on the US, do you think they would?

Do you think they should?

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

Sanctions only work if you have power. Very few countries have anything that would cripple us.

This question actually caused me to poke around the net and six of our top ten imports are in the top ten exports. Weird. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts/2018/02/28/six-of-top-10-u-s-imports-are-also-top-10-exports/#a9188042edb8 

Yeah, I don't know. Our allies have good relationships with us and it would take a large group to gang up enough to impact us in a debilitating way. Doing so would be suicide for many, not just because they're getting sweet trade deals now, but also because of the support provided throughout the world. I would think the hardest hits would probably be China and Japan, but they don't produce anything we can't produce ourselves. We'd just pay more for things like tech and clothes. Possibly some food items. But, like I said, it would probably hurt them more than it would hurt us, so I don't see them doing that. 

Should they? If I was the leader of another country right now, one bad president wouldn't be enough for me to ruin a long-term relationship. There's a good chance I'd watch to see if he was re-elected. Four years is a drop in the ocean of time unless long-term damage is being done. Eight is pushing it. 
      July 9, 2018 11:39 AM MDT

I hope you run in 2020.  I'll vote for you.
      November 23, 2018 3:49 AM MST

That is strange. Before I looked at the link, I guessed cars and oil, but some of them are pretty surprising.  

Some of our good relationships with allies seem to be in jeopardy at the moment, though we are all hoping that it's a very temporary problem. Well, many of us are hoping that! 

I agree with you, but sometimes getting a dose of one's own medicine does wonders for a person. Maybe it would work on a more global scale, too?  

July 9, 2018 2:23 PM MDT

i have no idea what theyre capable of doing
      July 9, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

For a certainty any nation with the power equalling this country's would take advantage of the other. Man has always dominated man to his injury 
      November 22, 2018 11:48 PM MST

Nationalism, I guess. 

:(
      November 23, 2018 8:56 AM MST

For a certainty any nation with the power equalling this country's would take advantage of the other. Man has always dominated man to his injury 

That's the idea, I reckon.

It's like chess.  I'm sure Trump couldn't play checkers very well, much less chess.

If I sanction you and drain your money, you are going to sanction me right back to reclaim the money.
      November 23, 2018 3:48 AM MST

It's a real bummer. 
      November 23, 2018 8:57 AM MST