Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Is there a movie that shut down your emotions and you went completely numb?

Is there a movie that shut down your emotions and you went completely numb?

"Ordinary People" is always the first, of several, that come to my mind. I was wiped out by this movie.

Image result for ordinary people poster

Posted - July 13, 2018

Responses

I can't think of a time when I ever reacted like that, but it's possible. The above movie moved me to tears, which is usually what happens. I'm a pretty emotional person. Maybe that's another reason I don't like going to the cinema to see films?  

There are some movies I simply cannot watch because I can't deal with the emotions that they provoke. Even thinking about them is too much for me. 
      July 13, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

Avoid "Dancer in the Dark" - - it's what I'd called the best movie I've ever seen, if I were asked to choose. But it is extremely emotional. So excellent, though.
    I was going for a movie that draws one to extremes emotionally. "Ordinary People" moved me to the point where I emotionally shut down.
      July 14, 2018 8:36 AM MDT

We saw The Life of a Boy about his dysfunctional family.  I wasn't numb at all it was like reliving my own miserable childhood.  I couldn't sit through it.  I had to get up and walk out of the theater twice to take walks.  I don't think that's what you were looking for but it is one of the most extreme reactions I've ever had to a film.
      July 13, 2018 9:04 PM MDT

Actually, yes, your reaction is what I meant by my question. I had to walk away from "Ordinary People," too.

Oh, well -  maybe it is different how we reacted to our respective movies. I got so upset I went beyond "upset" and then emotionally shut down.

I'm sorry about your childhood. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 14, 2018 8:41 AM MDT
      July 14, 2018 8:33 AM MDT