Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If Brexit fails then the UK won't be leaving the Eu. All those years of turmoil will have been for nothing. At what cost to the UK?

If Brexit fails then the UK won't be leaving the Eu. All those years of turmoil will have been for nothing. At what cost to the UK?

Posted - July 16, 2018

Responses

Leaving the EU is now inevitable. The current uncertainty is over whether the EU will accept the deal recently put together by the UK cabinet. If they reject it and no acceptable alternative can be found, then it will be a "no deal" Brexit. We will still be able to trade with the European Union countries but only on World Trade Organisation terms.

July 16, 2018 12:58 PM MDT

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply Rev. I appreciate it. The whole Brexit thing is very confusing to me. It seems that the "exit" is taking forever and I don't understand why it is so complicated. They want to leave the EU. Why can't they just cut ties and be done with it? See how ignorant I am? Happy Tuesday to thee Rev B! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 17, 2018 4:42 AM MDT
      July 17, 2018 4:41 AM MDT

It's always been about the Government trying to get the best of all possible worlds - for example, keeping as far as possible our existing trading arrangements with Europe while not been constrained from developing new ones with the wider world, and being able to limit immigration from Europe. That is why the deal that has taken so long to achieve and why many people, especially in the pro-Brexit camp, don't agree with it.
      July 17, 2018 1:25 PM MDT

So they want their cake and they want to eat it too then? Oh boy. Okay. Thank you for the simple explanation of what is clearly a complicated problem. What is YOUR preference Rev if I may be so bold as to ask?  What do you think would work best for the people? Happy Wednesday to thee Rev B! :)
      July 18, 2018 4:56 AM MDT

I have to admit I have not been following the negotiations closely and I do not have very specific ideas about what sort of Brexit I would prefer.
    My gut feeling is I would tend towards a stance that would allow us to control immigration from EU countries, not because I have been negatively affected by it myself, but because we are a densely populated country and it is putting a strain on our housing supply and infrastructure. If this means "no deal" or a less favourable deal, then I think there will be some hardship in the short term but we will adjust. As I understand it, some aspects of migration policy have been postponed for resolution after 2021 when the transition period ends.
      July 18, 2018 12:01 PM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful reply Rev. I think that whatever benefits some folks will seriously screw others. You can't have a winner without a loser. So trying to figure  out what might be best is at best a crap shoot, How can you possibly know in advanc what will work for the best until it's a fact accompli? One way or the other. Well I do hope it gets resolved so that the fewest folks suffer. I wonder how long it will take to know one way or the other? :)
      July 18, 2018 12:27 PM MDT

A lot of the difficulty and confusion in Britain comes from a central principle of the EU being that no country would ever leave it, even if the EU itself does not become the single, federal supra-nation of which many of its leaders dream.  Consequently it has no mechanism for anyone to leave.

It is also very nervous about any of its four main money sources leaving. These are Germany, France, Italy (I think) and Great Britain, but I don't know in which order of payment level. 

More still confusion in Britain comes from very scant reporting of the EU's doings by British politicians and journalists - I doubt many Britons can honestly say who is who in its hierarchy, how they gain their positions, how it makes its laws and rules (approaching two hundred thousand of them)...

The institution is now under considerable internal and external stress, and without very far-reaching rebuilding, I would not be surprised if the resulting strains break it up in the next decade or so.
      July 18, 2018 4:05 PM MDT