Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Why is it, whenever I copy something from another website and then paste it on here, it looks like it has Tippex on it?
Bez

Why is it, whenever I copy something from another website and then paste it on here, it looks like it has Tippex on it?

There's always a white stripe which shows up against AM's grey background, and the words appear on the white stripe. It looks for all the world like I've gone over my original text with Tippex and typed over it. What is that all about?

Posted - August 14, 2016

Responses

It all depends on the way the text was formatted on the other site. Try "paste as plain text" next time. In Chrome, you can access it by right clicking. 

August 14, 2016 4:42 PM MDT
  • Bez

I knew there was such a feature as "paste as plain text" but I didn't know what its function was. I am not one to mess with things I don't understand. Lol:)

I'll try it that way next time and see what happens.

August 14, 2016 4:45 PM MDT

I have a text editor open at all times. When  I don't like the formatting that gets copied, I paste it into the editor and delete it. Then I paste it into my post. That way all the formatting is gone and only the text remains.

TIP: Delete & paste is the same as copy & paste except for the delete part. My preferred editor is Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download

August 14, 2016 5:06 PM MDT
  • Bez

Thanks, Jewels. I'm a bit wary of Notepad though. I once opened a document through Notepad by mistake and it converted the document's text into a load of incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo and I had to remake the document.

August 14, 2016 5:11 PM MDT

That is because most file formats are incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo when you load them into a text editor. But you only corrupt the file if you save after it is converted.

Notepad++ is a lot more than Notepad.

August 14, 2016 10:18 PM MDT