Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » If you live in Turkey, but visit USA every Summer, could you open a USA bank account and drivers licence to use in the Summer?

If you live in Turkey, but visit USA every Summer, could you open a USA bank account and drivers licence to use in the Summer?

I have a friend who lives in Turkey but who is an american citizen. She comes to town in the Summer.  2012 she opened a bank account and renewed  her drivers licence here in the USA and got in trouble for it. Why did she get in trouble?

Posted - July 24, 2018

Responses

• Being as she is an American citizen, she probably was alright until she went back to Turkey. There she would need an International Driver's permit to drive legally ... according to this:

An international driving permit (IDP), also called an international driving license (IDL), is any valid, required by law identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country or jurisdiction that recognizes IDPs. To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving license issued in the holder's country of citizenship.  SOURCE:  Wikipedia

So, as both the United States and Turkey recognize IDPs, she'll have to get an IDP to legally drive in Turkey.
      July 24, 2018 11:15 AM MDT

Im going to suggest that to her , thanks ALF. ;)
      July 24, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

An international driver license is the ticket.
      July 24, 2018 12:33 PM MDT

That makes sence. Im going to pass this on to her. Thanks Thriftymaid. ;)
      July 24, 2018 1:36 PM MDT

I would think if her name was "Summer" she could.  
      July 24, 2018 3:14 PM MDT

probably
      August 5, 2018 5:26 PM MDT