Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How many languages does Melania really speak if speaking a language consists of more than 1000 words?

How many languages does Melania really speak if speaking a language consists of more than 1000 words?

More than one?

Posted - July 30, 2018

Responses

She speaks 5 languages. 
      July 30, 2018 6:04 PM MDT

She barely speaks ONE.

She sort of speaks English if you think BE BEST is speaking English.

The rest of the languages except her native one, has her actually saying about 6 words in each country she claims to have mastery over.

She doesn't have basic skills in any language she claims to "SPEAK" fluently.

BALONEY.

Is there any proof that Melania Trump is fluent in five languages?
    28 Answers
    Brent McKee
    Brent McKee, studied at University of Saskatchewan
    Answered Apr 16, 2017 · Author has 393 answers and 787.5k answer views

A few days ago I had cause to look into a couple of statements about Melania Trump. Someone quoted the alt-right claim that Melania has a higher IQ than any other First Lady. Of course she has never released her IQ score (something that most people with high IQs don’t do anyway). Given that the last three First Ladies included a Wellesley graduate who went on to Yale Law, and a Princeton graduate who attended Harvard Law, a woman who dropped out after her first year at the University of Ljubljana probably isn’t well matched in that department regardless of how difficult the exams to enter there are (that was the position that one of her professors took: she must be intelligent because the entrance exams are quite difficult).

In looking into this the matter of her linguistic skills came up. Now first I’d like to state that North Americans are appallingly badly educated in terms of language other than our mother tongues (usually English). Most Canadian Anglos (myself included) took some French in high school and many Francophone Canadians have some English. Similarly, at least some people in the United States have high school Spanish, but beyond that? Forget about it for all but a tiny fragment of the population. Europeans are more likely to pick up multiple languages if only for matters of trade within Europe.

Which brings us to Melania Trump. It’s claimed that she speaks Slovenian (what Robert Heinlein would call her “milk tongue”) Serbo-Croatian, Italian, German, and English (also French according to some sources). Slovenia’s neighbours are Italy to the west, Austria (German speaking) to the north, Croatia (Serbo-Croatian) to the south, and Hungary to the east. There are Italian and Hungarian “protected minorities” within Slovenia and, according to Wikipedia, a significant significant group of Croats, Serbs, Montenegrans, and Bosniaks - about 5.5% of the population - who speak Serbian or Serbo-Croatian. The relative similarity between Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian apparently makes it easy for Slovenian speakers to learn.

Again according to Wikipedia, English is usually the first foreign language that is taught in Slovenian schools being taught from pre-school on. German is the second foreign language taught, along with Serbo-Croatian. I would suggest that a woman who qualified for the University of Ljubljana would have at least some capability in those three languages. Italian might be more of a problem but you could at least pick up a bit of the language during work or vacations.

However, it has to be noted that there is no actual proof that she speaks any language other than Slovenian and English with any actual degree of fluency. There are no recordings of Melania Trump speaking any of the languages she claims to be fluent in except English. It is very possible that she studied it but does she or has she used it regularly. And what does she consider “fluent”. I know that I did four years of high school French and graduated each year but I don’t speak French and comprehend what is being said only a little better. Until such time as proof - one way or the other - appears about Melania Trump’s linguistic capabilities, we essentially have to take her word on it.
    72.8k Views · View Upvoters
    Related Questions
    More Answers Below

Melania Trump speaks 6-7 languages fluently. Do you still need her to have a degree to prove to you that she's smart?
    What languages does Melania Trump know?
    Who is prettier, Melania or Ivanka Trump?
    Do American people think Melania Trump beautiful?
    Melania Trump is fluent in 5 languages. Has there ever been another first lady who was multilingual?
    Ask New Question

Nathan Jensen
    Nathan Jensen, studied at Sam Houston State University
    Answered Jan 23, 2017 · Author has 101 answers and 84k answer views

Due to her age, a claim in Serbian (more likely Serbo-Croatian) is not unfounded. It was the official language of Yugoslavia, and there are still many Slovenes that are able to speak and understand what their Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian and Montenegrin cousins are speaking. I have yet to hear French and German from her, but living in Slovenia, I wouldn't be surprised if she spoke some German either.

Now, fluency would be another issue. Serbian learned in childhood (especially considering Serbian is diverging from Serbo-Croatian) is on shaky ground now. Slovenščina and Srpski are quite different.
    22.3k Views · View Upvoters
    Wilko Schutzendorf
    Wilko Schutzendorf, Fluent in 4 languages: English, German, Spanish and Catalan.
    Updated May 8, 2018

I don’t believe that she is fluent in German. English comes quite easy to German speakers who are immersed in English, say by marrying an American and living in the USA. My mother is German and never lived in the USA or UK. She speaks much better English than Melania who is married to an American and has lived in the USA for over 20 years. Furthermore, the more languages you speak, it becomes easier to pick up a new one, but Melania’s English is dreadful.
    Melania might speak a few words of German, but I need to have proof to believe she is fluent in German. Please have Melania call me for a 1 on 1 private appointment and I will administer a test.
    11.2k Views · View Upvoters
    John Young
    John Young
    Answered Mar 6, 2017

Think of the time and place Melania Trump grew up in- Milosevic’s tyrannical reign in Yugoslavia and Serbia - and how Slovenia was implicated in all this. Slovenia, like in many European countries surrounded by many other countries- you’d have to learn several languages at school- possibly Slovenian, Croatian, German, English at least - so it's not a surprise at all- even the dimmest moron at school still had to try to learn 4–5 languages.

She probably grew up with her family needing to exchange the dinar to the euro EVERYDAY as the inflation was going crazy and the dinar’s worth could be nothing the next day. This was what it may have been like growing up in tyrannical Slovenia for Melania Trump. No wonder she wants to marry and have the securities of another tyrant.
    13.6k Views · View Upvoters · Answer requested by Maria Alejandra McGonagle
    Angela Stockton
    Angela Stockton, works at Law Firms
    Answered Nov 14, 2016 · Author has 9.4k answers and 23.3m answer views
    Originally Answered: Is Melania Trump actually fluent in French, Serbian, and German? How well does she speak and write in those languages? Are they videos of her speaking in French, Serbian, and German?

Perhaps she does speak Serbian, but she’s from Slovenia, not Serbia, and Slovenian was her first language.

I don’t know what five languages she speaks. But I do think it interesting that the Republicans point with pride to their multilingual future First Lady. In 2004, when John Kerry was the Democratic candidate, and it was noted that Teresa Heinz Kerry speaks five languages, the Republicans called her a snob.
    18.2k Views · View Upvoters · Answer requested by Ximena De La Cámara
    David Good
    David Good
    Answered Apr 26, 2018 · Author has 311 answers and 90.5k answer views

Melania Trump is from Yugoslavia so that would most likely be at least one foreign language. Apparently Yugoslavia has some nine different languages
    Languages of Yugoslavia - Wikipedia so she might be able to get by with a few of them. There is a huge difference between being fluent and being able to speak just enough to get things done.

She lives in France for a time so she most likely picking up some French.

She also knows American English.

Being able to speak a language does not mean one can write in that language.

Being fluent means a person is able to express oneself easily and articulately. So she can at least speak 2 or 3 foreign languages, and my understanding is that it is fairly easy to pick up similar languages.
    2.7k Views · View Upvoters
    Adrienne Lamb
    Adrienne Lamb, Quora Top Writer 2018, Advertising guru
    Answered Apr 2, 2017 · Author has 2k answers and 4.2m answer views
    Originally Answered: Does Melania Trump actually speak 5 languages?

Thank you for the A2A.

Yes. Students in Slovenia Grade Schools learn at least 3- 4, by the time they graduate and go on to their State paid Colleges, many know 5 to 9. They are ready for the World.

There is something that needs to be said about Melania Trump since no one else is making the effort to say it. She is a nude/artistic/fashion (whatever one wants to label it) model that married an old millionaire, but she is not an idiot. The fact that Trump makes it seem that way should give everyone cause to pause. I believe she is much smarter than he is, his daughter is, has more to offer in ways of seeing positive changes in America, and is more than an appendage in a nice dress with a pretty face and body. I think as time goes on, that will become very apparent as the facts seep out.

Educational System in Slovenia

Financing your Studies in Slovenia
    4.7k Views · View Upvoters · Not for Reproduction · Answer requested by Cameron Cassidy
    Natalie McCaughrin
    Natalie McCaughrin, studied at Kenyon College
    Answered Nov 19, 2016 · Author has 75 answers and 70.9k answer views

I would assume obviously not as she evidently has no problem fudging the truth. Also a translator already assessed her fluency in three of those five languages and absolutely confirmed she is not “fluent” as she claimed. The translator also went on to define fluent. So — no. However, big deal she lied about something that I really don’t expect her to utilize anyhow for the U.S. What is odd is my grandmother is from the same place but spoke far better English after only a few years in America. I mean, that makes no sense.
    11k Views · View Upvoters
    Related Questions

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 30, 2018 6:15 PM MDT
      July 30, 2018 6:11 PM MDT

have no idea
      August 3, 2018 4:32 PM MDT