Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You don't like the rules? Get a different job. Don't break the rules to suit your needs. Why don't folks DO THAT?

You don't like the rules? Get a different job. Don't break the rules to suit your needs. Why don't folks DO THAT?

Posted - August 20, 2018

Responses

Most of us are hired to accomplish particular tasks. Now there are often rules, based upon experience, about how best such tasks can be accomplished.  If we don't accomplish what we have been hired to do then we will most likely lose our job.  However some people may be able to better accomplish those tasks in different ways that may be more in keeping with their knowledge, abilities, and personalities.  In which case many employers will be willing to bend or change their rules to suit a particularly strong and efficient doer.  We all stamp our jobs with our personalities at the very least. But often longer term employees do more than just that. I have been in my same position since 1989 and I have been called on to do many other tasks than what were originally in my job description once my company realized I had particular strengths and were willing to exploit them.  So my position has grown with me. And I am more comfortable accomplishing what I am given to do in certain ways that suit me better so they are willing to allow me to go about them in my ways.  As long as they are beneficial to the corporation.  Which does not exist to serve me but I serve them and if I  an serve them better by reshaping things more to suit what I am comfortable with then they have been willing to sometimes do that. 
      August 20, 2018 6:25 AM MDT