Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Most folks have limited money to spend and so they have to work within a budget . Are you among them? How good are you at it? Or are you not typical and are budgetless?

Most folks have limited money to spend and so they have to work within a budget . Are you among them? How good are you at it? Or are you not typical and are budgetless?

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

I am financially secure and have no budget. I do not spend money friviously and really don't want much. My wife will be secure if I go before she does.

August 17, 2016 7:58 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Ele. Well that's a good thing.  You don't have to worry about money or lack thereof. :)    

August 17, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

Precisely...it's called planning. I wish today's kids would learn that.

August 17, 2016 8:19 AM MDT

• Our budget is so limited that it's not had to manage.

Tip 1. Don't own a credit card and never borrow money.

Tip 2. Know when the bills come in and save enough so you have it ready when needed.

Tip 3. Keep saving 10% in reserve for emergencies and don't have any insurance except what is legally compulsory.

Tip 4. Live cheaply. Grow your own food. Reuse and recycle everything. Buy only what is necessary. Don't gamble, drink, smoke or do drugs.

August 17, 2016 8:40 AM MDT

• I'm a grad student, so...money? What's that? :P

August 17, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

((hugs )) Wow! That is AWESOME honey! Really impressive hartfire! Good for you! Thank you for such a neat presentation of the very good bones of your budget format! :)  Oh...different subject referring back to grammar and spelling. I think you will enjoy this bunches hartfire! Years ago someone on Answerbag told me I had spelled a word incorrectly.  I informed him that the word didn't exist. That it was my word. I made it up. So since it was my word I could spell it anywhichway I wanted to since I was its creator. Never heard from him again! Was it something I said? :)

August 17, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

I hear ya sweetie! Loud and clear! One day it will change and you will be rolling in dough! Yep. I can see it! What is your field of study Nevan?:)

August 17, 2016 9:59 AM MDT

• Linguistics. It's my field of study and my passion :)

August 17, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

• Would like to know more about it.
    I'm teaching myself to write (with lot's of help wherever I can find it.)
    Taking a guess that linguistics might have a lot to offer.

August 17, 2016 9:04 PM MDT

• At a guess, he mistook you word for another. The when he realised his error he felt too embarrassed to face you again.  A pity when ego gets in the way like that.

I haven't coined any words yet - but I believe it might happen one day when the context is just right.

I would love to invent a lexicon for all the words for different kinds of love - in my view, our English language has not nearly enough to cover the nuances.

August 17, 2016 9:14 PM MDT

Yes, I am.

Pretty good, really.

Could be better, though.

How about yourself ?

August 18, 2016 12:00 AM MDT

I'm a  retired Internal Auditor Uc. My life has been made up of numbers. I have never had a check bounce. I have never had a creditor hound me for money that's past due. My credit scores are in the 8's! I have never bitten off  more than I could chew and swallow easily vis a vis financial situations.  I have never declared bankruptcy or stiffed a creditor. When you know what your income is then you know what your outgo should be. It doesn't take a genius or a brain surgeon or a nuclear physicist to figure out that you don't spend more than you have if you are reasonably intelligent. Did I answer your question? Thank you for answering mine! :)

August 18, 2016 1:56 AM MDT

That's intriguing and very nifty as well Nevan!. Would you teach Linguistics then once you receive your Ph.D? I love words as you probably have gathered through the years on Answerbag and now Answermug. I love language. I love playing with words and making some up and reconfiguring some. I have a small book titled "Word Origins. The  Romance of Language" by  Cecil Hunt. A very slim volume I've had for years. You are undoubtedly familiar with it. Perhaps one day I shall own a book you wrote. Of course I would need to know your pen name and I expect you wouldn't mind letting us know. When the time is write...right? Thank you for your reply Nevan and Happy Thursday! :)

August 18, 2016 2:09 AM MDT