Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Does it surprise you?

Does it surprise you?

AIBA drops some referees, judges after scoring controversy

Olympic boxing's governing body has removed some judges and referees from the Rio Games after a controversy over fight decisions.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) said in a statement that it had reviewed all decisions in the 239 bouts to date and found "less than a handful" were not at the level expected.

"The concerned referees and judges will no longer officiate at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games," it said, adding that the results of all bouts would stand.

The judging was thrown into the spotlight this week when Irish and U.S. boxers protested they had been 'robbed' in quarter-final fights.

Irish world champion bantamweight Michael Conlan went on an expletive-laden rant on live television after losing to Russian Vladimir Nikitin.

He told reporters he would never fight again in any AIBA-organized competition and sent a message to the official Twitter channel of Russian president Vladimir Putin saying: "Hey Vlad. How much did they charge you bro?".

U.S. coach Billy Walsh, who is Irish, joined in the criticism after his light-welterweight Gary Russell missed out on a medal when a split decision went to Uzbekistan's Fazliddin Gaibnazarov.

"The judging has been atrocious," he told reporters. "The last time I saw it as bad was in Seoul in 1988 when Roy Jones got robbed in the final."

Questions were also raised after Russian Evgeny Tishchenko won the heavyweight gold to boos from the crowd that clearly felt Kazakh opponent Vasily Levit had done more.

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

It surprised me that they are going to let the decisions stand. I seen some of the Conian fight and it sure looked like he should of won. I think they should have a re match. Cheers!
      August 17, 2016 10:29 PM MDT

• No. The Olympics are corrupt.

August 17, 2016 10:30 PM MDT