Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In a final farewell John McCain wrote a letter to Americans. He said in effect WE SHALL OVERCOME. Do you believe him?

In a final farewell John McCain wrote a letter to Americans. He said in effect WE SHALL OVERCOME. Do you believe him?

Posted - August 27, 2018

Responses

• No, indeed I do not and I have been a "cheerleader" for this nation most of my life. I used to be cautiously optimistic, but I've come to the conclusion that we, as a nation, are circling the drain. An intensely divided nation such as this has a poor chance of successfully overcoming self inflicted wounds. John McCain was the product of another place and time. The world and especially this country, have changed dramatically since McCain started his military career and went to war. While I regard him as an authentic American hero, (few could have, or would have, endured what he went through in captivity) I didn't care for him as a politician. I did cast my vote for him in the presidential election, but that was because I refused to support Barack Obama. While I think that we still need heroes, they have gone the way of the flag and the national anthem as far as respect and honor goes. 
      August 27, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply DA. When did the downward trend begin and why?
      August 28, 2018 2:30 AM MDT

As long as there is a faction of Americans willing to support demagogues and overlook their petulance and self interest, no, things are not looking too promising. 

Is there a louder indictment of the character of the petty con man in the WH than his silence on the death of an actual American hero FROM HIS OWN PARTY?

Trump lacks the common decency required of his office, and to all of those who will continue to stand with this vile, divisive, self-absorbed man, regardless of his daily incivility, you are all complicit in it.

*Rosie, did you see the Prez today, sitting at the big desk brooding while reporters shouted questions about McCain to him? 
    A cornered rat. A petulent chump in a poorly fitting suit with no reply. The leader of the Free World. Isolated in a crowded room, hearing the footsteps, straining to retain face, unhappy.
    It was hilarious.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 28, 2018 2:30 AM MDT
      August 27, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

That pretty well covers it.
      August 27, 2018 7:14 PM MDT

I’m not pulling any punches on this guy, Tom. I see from your posts, we are of like mind (on this as well).
    Regards. 
      August 27, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

:):):)
      August 28, 2018 2:42 AM MDT

Absolutely.
      September 2, 2018 7:44 PM MDT

:):):)
      August 28, 2018 2:38 AM MDT

I did indeed DB. I think "a cornered rat" is a very fitting description since, as you may recall, he said those who flip are RATS. I also agree that his belligerent defiance and hate for McCain shows what he is more than anything else could. He viciously attacked McCain. Even more so as McCain fought for his life as he was dying of that horrible brain cancer. In return McCain requested two things. That Barack Obama and George  W. Bush give eulogies at his funeral and that trump not attend. That pointed slight will fuel the donjohn for eternity and he will continue to viciously vilify a dead hero. Just watch. A pol said that he will refrain from talking about trump at least until Senator McCain has been buried. In honor of him. I'm gonna try my dam*dest to do the same. In honor of Senator McCain. Ask questions that are oblique not pointed. Avoid mentioning his name. My Answermug pals will know exactly what I'm talking about.  They can read between the lines. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. This post was edited by RosieG at August 28, 2018 3:12 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 2:38 AM MDT

I do believe him. Cheers!
      August 27, 2018 7:32 PM MDT

You are always so optimistic Nanoose. I wish I were. You are always a ray of sunshine that I can count on 24/7. I don't know how you do it but I surely do appreciate it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      August 28, 2018 2:41 AM MDT