Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Diversity V. Inclusion: Should We Respect Ethnic, Racial, Etc. Differences or Deny Their Existence?

Diversity V. Inclusion: Should We Respect Ethnic, Racial, Etc. Differences or Deny Their Existence?

Ordinarily I'd like to agree with Oprah (being something of a heroine to me), but in this case...I dunno.  Which is better; to respect and appreciate what makes us different as individuals...or to surrender our individual uniqueness to group identity?

Oprah Winfrey, Ava DuVernay on the Push for "Inclusion" (Not Diversity)...

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

• The article itself is just more propaganda for Black Lives Matter. They hope to make it into a feel good story to take attention away from what its extremists do. Anyways I'll take uniqueness over group identity because I think it's suicide to accept everyone and over tolerance is as unhealthy as no tolerance.

I happen to think people find themselves together regardless so in the end forcing others on everyone else will just breed resentment.

August 17, 2016 4:24 PM MDT

respect them and embrace them.

love makes the world go round

and variety is the spice of life

expression and art are 2 of God's greatest gifts

we can see Him in all of them

a mirror that we could not have made ourselves and

need help from our brothers and sisters to view more clearly

Glory to God and all his beautiful expressions; my brothers and sisters

bless all of you. blessed be sai ram

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      August 17, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

Correct on all points--especially that last one about us all being bigots (paraphrased to the point of butchery!). :-)

August 18, 2016 2:03 AM MDT

Why am I suddenly overcome by the urge to fire up a bong, put on some Starship and festoon all my doors with bead curtains?  :-)

August 18, 2016 2:05 AM MDT

I don't think it is an either/or issue. Inclusion is not synonymous with homogenization, it is allowing diverse people in without expectation of conformity.
      August 18, 2016 2:40 AM MDT

Sharon has that effect on people. :)
      August 18, 2016 2:42 AM MDT

Indeed.

I happen to like Sharonna...but I don't think she's too crazy about me. I think it's 'cuz she's such a Trump fan, and she knows I'm not. :-)

August 18, 2016 3:14 PM MDT

Excellent point!  Too bad the partisans of 'inclusion' don't consider it in their demands (stated and implied) for compliance.

August 18, 2016 3:15 PM MDT

ROTFLMAO!

AL, you're a trip!

August 18, 2016 3:16 PM MDT

I am not a fan of people making demands of others.  Diversity simply is.  Inclusion can never truly be achieved through force.  Unless and until people look at others as individuals, respect their differences, and accept those differences...nothing will change. 

Tbh, I am good with a tribal society, where people flock together according to their similarities.  I am also comfortable with a diverse and (notice the "and", not "or") inclusive society.

I have heard much talk about assimilation being the foundation of America's "melting pot", and also of how we need instead to be a "salad bowl" where everyone retains all their differences.  Frankly, I think both analogies are wrong. 

I liken America to a "stew".  Various ingredients have been added...meats, potatoes, onions, carrots and other vegetables, and some cornstarch to create the gravy.  The gravy is key.  We can easily discern the meat from the potatoes from the various veggies included, but the gravy absorbs some of the flavor of each.  Of course, the longer the stew cooks, the less distinct the individual ingredients become.  But as long as new meat and veggies are added to the pot, distinction is apparent.  The gravy is what holds us all together.  It marries my flavor with yours and ours with theirs, yet the individual ingredients retain their uniqueness.

The gravy is what brings us to understand that we have some common ground and allows us to accept and respect the differences in others.  JMHO

August 18, 2016 5:35 PM MDT

LMAO!

August 18, 2016 5:37 PM MDT

We are different colors of the rainbow. Green is a great color also great are blue and yellow individually. Life is beautiful in any color.
      August 18, 2016 5:49 PM MDT
  • Bez

It is better to respect and appreciate what makes us different as individuals.

August 18, 2016 5:54 PM MDT
  • Bez

So is this answer, Nelly. So is anything else that has the word "rainbow" in it. :)

August 18, 2016 5:54 PM MDT

LOL!

August 18, 2016 9:40 PM MDT

Bingo!

August 18, 2016 9:40 PM MDT

Indeed, why?  AFAIC, that's what group identity does.  It divides us into cultural subunits who COULD be united by common goals, struggles, accomplishments, etc.  E.g., "I'm not an American (or insert the country/culture of your choice) who takes joy in our accomplishments as a country, I'm an African American, a Gay American, A Trans American (insert the minority group of your choice), etc."

August 18, 2016 9:45 PM MDT