Active Now

my2cents
DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Are the US dietary guidelines on milk, racist?

Are the US dietary guidelines on milk, racist?

The government recommends everyone drink 3 cups of milk daily, but a recent study suggests African Americans might not need any milk at all. Could this be possible? What do you think?

If it was my story, I could not call it racist. I don't know what I would call it.

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

Yep.  Such a suggestion is unquestionably racist!  There are no physiological, psychological or intellectual differences between the races, and to believe or suggest that there are is clearly racist. :-^D

I chit you not.  There are people who actually believe that!

August 17, 2016 2:52 PM MDT

• No one NEEDS milk after they are weaned.
      August 17, 2016 3:08 PM MDT

August 17, 2016 3:16 PM MDT

August 17, 2016 3:35 PM MDT

It is not racist.  It is totally ludicrous.   The only humans that NEED milk are babies and that is breast milk and now cow's milk.  Dairy is never necessary for life to be sustained.  Everything from the cow can be duplicated from fruits and nuts and vegetables.  But it is nice to have it as a healthy adjunct to whatever you do be it black or white or red or yellow.  

August 17, 2016 3:48 PM MDT

There is evidence, though conflicting, that lactose intolerance is considerably higher in some ethnicities than in others. Sometimes lactose maldigestion is confused with lactose intolerance.

http://www.elegancy101.com/why-black-people-shouldnt-drink-milk/

http://thegrio.com/2013/09/18/got-milk-maybe-not-if-youre-african-american/

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/

August 17, 2016 5:21 PM MDT

The federal government has always been bonkers about milk. In the 50s, a half gallon of milk cost an hour's wages. The government would have to buy the milk because people who worked could not pay such prices. They turned the milk into butter and gave it to poor people. So people who worked went without butter to pay taxes to buy butter to give to people who didn't work and didn't pay taxes.

Poor people did not buy milk, so after a baby was weaned, he/she stopped producing lactase and eventually could not digest milk. Doctors gave that a high-falutin name of "lactose intolerant" as if it were a disease.

August 17, 2016 11:16 PM MDT

I call it misguided. 

August 18, 2016 3:21 PM MDT

I don't know the details of this case, but humans do have small physiological and disease-resistance differences between races, so it's feasible and by no means racist to find and publish them as genuine biological and medical information.

September 5, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

• No one needs to drink milk. It's for baby cows!
      September 5, 2016 3:39 PM MDT

• Yus
      September 5, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

• Yus
      September 5, 2016 3:40 PM MDT

• y u hate goats?

September 5, 2016 4:46 PM MDT

Butter is made from cream (milk fat), not from milk.

But I do remember copious amounts of cheese being delivered to my grade and high schools and I also remember the government passing out cheese as a public assistance effort. Ah, those dairy subsidies . . .

September 5, 2016 11:05 PM MDT