Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Girls: Have you ever requested women queued outside a Ladies' washroom to allow you to take first position because of your genuine urgency? How did they react?

Girls: Have you ever requested women queued outside a Ladies' washroom to allow you to take first position because of your genuine urgency? How did they react?

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

• Yesterday my mother (68) was reduced to tears because the crass refusal of those women (b*tches!!!) caused her to embarrass herself for the first time in her life.

August 17, 2016 10:24 PM MDT

I've never had to do that, but I have had women let me go ahead of them when they could see my urgency.  lol

August 17, 2016 10:36 PM MDT

:(
      August 18, 2016 12:29 AM MDT

• Kegel exercises. There are physiotherapists who specialize in continence who teach the technique. One session is enough to learn. Flaccid tone is reversible.

Feminists teach them too, so I've been doing them since the 1980's.

When my mother was gardening one day, she squatted down and suddenly the pressure caused a prolapsed uterus. Many people would consider the details more information than they want to know - but its not healthy to be ignorant about it. She had to have a total hysterectomy.

It might seem funny to some, but lack of tone in the muscles of the pelvic floor can become a threat to health and quality of life if it's neglected.

From having worked in aged care I can say the same applies to men.

August 18, 2016 12:58 AM MDT

If there's a hell, there's a very SPECIAL place in it for...b*tches.

August 18, 2016 3:01 AM MDT

August 18, 2016 3:02 AM MDT

Neelie, I'm sorry those women did that to your mom.  Sometimes people can't see past their own needs.

August 18, 2016 3:50 AM MDT

• And if there are befitting curses and swear words, I don't know them.

August 18, 2016 10:55 AM MDT

• That was very considerate of them.

August 18, 2016 10:57 AM MDT

• It was a good thing that by sheer chance my father was window-shopping nearby, and he drove her back home. She wept all the way and broke down when she spoke of her ordeal on the phone to me in the evening. I think that was the greatest humiliation of her life. 

August 18, 2016 11:00 AM MDT

• Good idea, hartfire, I'll take her to my gynaec next week. But my mother's already 68, and I wonder if she would benefit.

August 18, 2016 11:05 AM MDT

I have not stood in a line to pee in 20 years at least

August 18, 2016 11:08 AM MDT

She will...up to a point.  The problem is that the PC muscles get atrophied over a period of time, and the tissues of the urinary sphincter itself degrade as well.  After a fashion it's the same kind of thing that happens to the rubber washers of a water spigot.

August 18, 2016 3:20 PM MDT

• I can assure you confidently that she will.

In the case of dementia, such exercises cannot be learned due to loss of short term memory.

But even incontinence due to senility can be assisted - although the method is very different - taking the elder to the toilet within ten minutes after eating or drinking - or at least every 2.5 hours. Just being there usually sets things in motion. If not, make a shshshsh sound, and that will help. Hygiene pads are helpful in public places where finding a toilet in time might be difficult. But they should never be a substitute for the exercises.

Hygiene pads are helpful in public places where finding a toilet in time might be difficult. They are difficult to adjust to at first because there is a sense of shame about needing them. Underneath that comes the fear of loss of independence.

Some oldies start to avoid drinking in order to prevent accidents. This can cause dehydration and lead to excessive tiredness and loss of mental clarity and focus. It is also dangerous for health on several other levels. We all need 8 x 8 oz glasses or 2 litres of water or fluid per day - a little more if drinking tea or coffee.

Eliminating tea or coffee reduces the urgency of need, but may also lessen the cherished small pleasures of life - so it's a trade off the elder can choose. More than one cup of coffee per day is not good for the liver.

Other elders start refusing to go out for fear of accidents and this leads to isolation and loneliness. So every encouragement to use pads, to help them face these small adjustments, has a huge effect on their quality of life. Pads significantly increase the cost of living. You can go on-line to find the cheapest in bulk.

But hygiene pads should never be a substitute for the exercises if the cause is pelvic muscle tone.

August 18, 2016 3:59 PM MDT

• Thank you, hartfire for taking the pains to give such nice, informative answers.

August 19, 2016 12:45 AM MDT

• Good for you, Sharonna

August 19, 2016 12:47 AM MDT

• I just stroll over to the mens washroom.  I have surprised many guys when I came out of a stall...LOL!!!

September 3, 2016 3:47 PM MDT

• That's terrible, sorry to hear your mum had to endure that!!  

September 3, 2016 3:48 PM MDT

• True

September 3, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

• Has anyone ever objected?

September 3, 2016 8:53 PM MDT

• Oh Ya I've gotten in trouble a couple of times by the manager.  :-D  No guys in there ever have though.

September 4, 2016 2:18 PM MDT