Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You cannot abort what is not conceived. Some say taking birth control pills is like committing abortion. How can you abort what isn't there?

You cannot abort what is not conceived. Some say taking birth control pills is like committing abortion. How can you abort what isn't there?

Posted - September 11, 2018

Responses

I don't consider birth control pills an abortion. 

But what these people are talking about is one of the ways birth control pills work is by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting into the uterus. A fertilized egg is the first stage of a pregnancy. Conception is when the sperm and egg unite. 

No politican is advocating making birth control illegal. This post was edited by my2cents at September 11, 2018 6:16 AM MDT
      September 11, 2018 6:14 AM MDT

That's the morning-after pill, isn't it?
      September 11, 2018 10:27 AM MDT

No. That is the regular birth control pills work by Hormones which:
    1. Prevent the release of the egg (no egg no fertilization)
    2. Thicken the cervical mucus making it harder for the sperm to swim in and reach the egg. (if one is released)
    3. Thins the endometrium. The endometrium is the lining of the uterus where an egg implants after it’s fertilized. If this lining is thinner, it’s harder for an egg to implant in it, which will prevent a pregnancy from growing.

The morning after works the same way....in fact it is just a much higher dose of the same hormones in the daily birth control pill.
      September 11, 2018 11:21 AM MDT

:):):)
      September 12, 2018 6:33 AM MDT

Would not be the same at all. 
      September 11, 2018 7:03 AM MDT

The abortion debate always reminds me of some Christians I used to work with.
    They would have half a dozen kids, if they got married.
    Why?  Because "if God wants us to get pregnant, we will" and they wouldn't use birth control.
    My answer was ... "No.  You're pregnant because you don't use birth control.  If god wants you to be pregnant, He would have you be one of the few people to get pregnant while USING birth control."
      September 11, 2018 11:27 AM MDT

When you grow up being told something is evil and awful it's kinda hard to escape that mindset I guess. I think abortion is not a good thing. The good news is it can be prevented. That's what the use of birth control medication is for. It a method of planning when to have your family. I don't understand that brand of "logic" but it is not rare or unique for some folks to use that argument. They rail against abortion. It's not my first choice for sure. Isn't that WHY birth control medication was born? Oh ya know what Walt  I just thought of a question on this subject. You'll know the one I mean. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 12, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

On another forum, someone used the argument that abortion is not necessary because there are millions of people who would adopt those "unwanted" babies.

I pointed out that IF that were true, there would be NO children in the "foster system" today.
    Then wondered if maybe those people only want "babies" - like those who only want "puppies", and don't "have room" for the dogs when they grow older.

The person got their panties in a wad, and accused me of being a "nutty liberal" and "tree hugger".  Pffft.  LOL
      September 12, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

We've been called lots worse than that Walt. I don't usually speak for others but in this particular case I think I can speak for you. For me personally it is a matter of logic. Something exists that can prevent a  problem. Why not take advantage of it? How can they demonize abortion and also demonize a means of preventing a "need" for it? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Walt. I don't how  many times you've been down that road but I've lost track of the times I've tried to just get folks to understand how simple a concept it is. They will have none of it! SIGH.
      September 12, 2018 7:27 AM MDT

I know ... They can't see the relation between their stances:

1 - Abortion is wrong.  Why can't people just use birth control?
    2 - We don't like Planned Parenthood because it MAY refer people to abortion clinics.  Who cares that most of their work isn't abortion related?  Let's defund them (so people have nowhere to go for pre-natal health).
    3 - We don't want to have to provide female birth control methods, because our "religion" doesn't believe in that.
    4 - We don't want anybody else to give out birth control, because that encourages people to have sex.  (because, you know, only married people had sex before birth control was invented)

There's a book - "Hope" by JPFO.org - which gives a good show of what "enabling legislation" would be required, to REALLY outlaw abortions.  It's a scary picture.
      September 12, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

1.  We can but we don't use birth control. I would estimate that 70% of my activity during my 30+ fertile years was "unprotected".
    2.  Don't know about you but I don't want any of the funds extracted from me through taxation going to fund the abortion of others. 
    3.  My religion (Christianity) has nothing against bc. 
    4.  People, married or single, are going to have sex whatever.  Which may not have been completely true always but certainly is today.  Just everything is sexualized in the media, entertainment, advertising etc.  Hormones don't need much in the way of suggestion. 
      September 12, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

My point is that those 4 stances are often taken by individuals at the same time - and the first is incompatible with the other 3.

September 12, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

• would you expect anything less from a group of old white men 
      September 12, 2018 7:29 AM MDT

What about old white women?
      September 12, 2018 8:42 AM MDT

I know very few people who are against birth control. I don’t agree with them. Even though they’re against it for religious reasons I fail to see wy birth control is wrong especially when they and I oppose abortion. I’d rather people prevent pregnancy than women resort to abortion. 

September 12, 2018 12:43 PM MDT