Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do those of you who go fishing ever use worms for bait or are worms out of date and you all use those fancy colorful "flies"?

Do those of you who go fishing ever use worms for bait or are worms out of date and you all use those fancy colorful "flies"?

Posted - September 30, 2018

Responses

I am not an angler but as I understand it, there is a significant difference, so one method does not replace the other. 

Fly-fishing is designed to catch fish that feed on insects flying just above the water, or just touching it.

Worms and other such bait are for fish that feed under-water, on smaller fish or other animals, or organic fragments.  
      September 30, 2018 6:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your helpful answer Durdle and Happy Monday. Here's why I asked. The insect and bug population is diminishing drastically s far as I can tell. Have you noticed? It started with the bees a few years ago and now it seems to be spreading, enveloping everything. From anst to flies to mosquitoes to roaches there are far fewer of them now. I don't know if it's alarming but it does seem a bit sinister. I  know what bees contribute but I'm not so sure about the other flying and crawling critters. I expect that includes worms although I don't know.  Have a great day! :)
      October 1, 2018 3:33 AM MDT

I had not noticed that decline to be honest, although I have heard various reports about particular groups of animals diminishing. Much of that in the UK at least is blamed on farming practices and building developments removing habitats - a common problem throughout the world though.

All those creatures do play a part in life. Many insects, not just bees and butterflies, are pollinators. Wasps will eat fruit but also aphids, and on the whole are more beneficial than harmful. Ants help aerate the ground with their burrows, and are food for many other animals.

Earthworms are vital to soil condition hence plant health.

Many other little things like nematodes (tiny flat-worms) and woodlice help to break down dead organisms, returning their materials to the ground as nutrients for plants. Some nematodes prey on creatures that are pests to gardeners, and a lot of gardeners now buy nematode colonies rather than chemical slug-killers, which risk the health of larger animals who regards slugs and snails as tasty meals.
      October 1, 2018 8:09 AM MDT

I prefer a good ole nightcrawler. If I don't want to mess with the worms then I have some lures that look like small perch and minnows that I use. Sometimes I use both it gives me something to do which waiting for a bite on the worm. 
      October 1, 2018 8:53 AM MDT