Discussion » Questions » Communication » Why are some people so obsessed with lower case letters that they have an aversion to capital letters?
Bez

Why are some people so obsessed with lower case letters that they have an aversion to capital letters?

Some people appear to have an unhealthy obsession with lower case letters that borders on insanity, so much so that they don't even seem to understand how disrespectful it is to spell people's names with lower case initials, let alone spell the first word of a sentence with a capital initial. Why do you think that is?

Posted - August 20, 2016

Responses

• Bez

I think you might be on to something there, Some1. When I was a kid the schools were much stricter than they are today. Isn't it odd that the increase in bad English has followed the abolition of corporal punishment in schools? I don't know what kind of punishments they do use these days but whatever they do is obviously ineffective.

August 20, 2016 5:30 AM MDT
  • Bez

That's when the entire answer (or at least an entire sentence) is typed in capitals. Traditionally, the first word of a sentence begins with a capital letter, the word "I" is always capitalised and people's names and place names are always spelled with capital initials, with the remaining letters in lower case.

August 20, 2016 5:36 AM MDT

I don't know which is worse: the person who never uses capital letters or the person who never uses lowercase letters.
    (Of the latter, we have one such person at work. He's explained that he never knows when to capitalize and when not to, so he leaves his keyboard on caps lock, rationalizing that all lowercase can't be right, but that he can't ho wrong with uppercase all the time.

__
      August 20, 2016 6:06 AM MDT
  • Bez

Can't ho wrong? Shouldn't that say "Can't go wrong"?

I don't know why computer keyboards have the caps lock feature in the first place. It is far and away and without a shadow of a doubt the most useless and annoying feature on the entire keyboard.

August 20, 2016 6:49 AM MDT
  • Bez

I always thought I was lazy, but that takes the biscuit. Lol:)

August 21, 2016 6:36 AM MDT

Hello Andy:

I have NO idea.

excon

August 20, 2016 5:11 AM MDT
  • Bez

Surely nobody is too lazy to use a capital letter when required. How does it require effort?

PS is that your cat on your avatar? I love cats. :)

August 20, 2016 5:15 AM MDT
  • Bez

I wonder if anybody does know the answer to this one. Lol:)

August 20, 2016 5:16 AM MDT
  • Bez

There was someone on Answerbag who used to type like that. Lol:)

August 20, 2016 5:27 AM MDT

• Traditionally upper case is used for SHOUTING your answer ... Also many including myself right now use a phone so nicieties go out the window
      August 20, 2016 5:27 AM MDT