Active Now

Pet Eater
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What are the traits of a sockpuppet?!

What are the traits of a sockpuppet?!

Example: "Watch closely for similar traits including characteristic misspellings of often used words or phrases. Also, shared opinions, education or hobbies could raise the sockpuppet-suspicion. In this case: be aware that some sockpuppets are created with their own "personality" sometimes including a history of their own, as well as maybe some intentional misspellings or different interests from the real person behind the puppet." — wikiHow

Posted - June 28, 2016

Responses

There are no particular traits of "a sockpuppet". Sockpuppet masters on the other hand have several things in common.

1) They want not to be recognized as such.

2) They have some agenda they want furthered. Usually selling something or spreading their pet theory. A common purpose in creating a sock puppets is to be the 'straight man' who underscore the points made by the puppet master.

eg:

Puppet master: "And so we see that the current decline of morality will inevitably lead Amerika to rack and ruin."

Sock puppet: "That is soo true. My neighbors son just got arrested for ruining a shopfront with graffiti."

June 28, 2016 1:47 AM MDT

Thank you. I think I see the sockpuppet as the one you define as the sockpuppet master. It might be wrong, but it's how I've seen them described when looking up the subject.
      June 28, 2016 1:51 AM MDT

I think that description sums it up quite nicely.

This reminds me of my AnswerBag days, that place was SockPuppet Central! Once, someone tried even to pass himself or herself off as a thinly-veiled Randy D clone, but couldn't do it because of lacking knowledge of English grammar.

:)
      June 28, 2016 9:53 AM MDT

Haha. Yep, you got your style Randy. EP wasn't any better with lots of sockpuppets and cloned profiles too. ;-)
      June 28, 2016 9:58 AM MDT

I don't bother with caring.  I know who I talk to that I care about and sock puppets are not among the group.  I can answer them just fine.  An answer is an answer.

June 28, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

That's good, Sharonna. :-)
      June 28, 2016 10:16 AM MDT

Thanks, Pal!

:)

June 28, 2016 8:35 PM MDT

Anytime. :-)
      June 28, 2016 11:17 PM MDT