Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do some folks smoke just so food won't taste good and they won't get fat? Some gain weight when they stop smoking. Which kills more folks?

Do some folks smoke just so food won't taste good and they won't get fat? Some gain weight when they stop smoking. Which kills more folks?

Getting cancer or other lung disease from smoking or being fat?

Posted - November 18, 2018

Responses

People gain weight after quitting smoking as food becomes a replacement for the cigarette/nicotine.

Many folks smoke because they wanted to "fit in" or to be different.  Their friends, family, coworkers, (etc.), smoked so they did too to fit in, or to stand out from them.  Once they're hooked, it's VERY hard to quit.  Those who do need to find a substitute for that cigarette (putting something in their mouth).  Their body also craves nicotine.  To compensate, they turn to food.  All that extra food is fattening - thus the weight gain.

To answer your question, obesity kills more people than smoking (598,000 compared to 480,000 per year).   Maybe because more people eat than smoke??  
      November 18, 2018 9:53 AM MST

So you assert that smoking doesn't kill your tastebuds and make food taste like crap and when you stop smoking the tastebuds come back and food no longer tastes like crap? I don't know since I've never been a smoker. Does smoking at least kill your appetite because when you inhale all that burning tobacco something's gotta go or no? Numbers never lie. Right? Only people do!  Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to you  Shuhak :)
      November 18, 2018 10:40 AM MST

Oh, no... smoking definitely dulls (kills?) ones taste buds - sometimes permanently
    Yes, smoking can kill one's appetite.

I don't smoke either (never have, never will).  Nasty habit.  Expensive too.  All I know about it is what i've learned over the years.

I believe the current number of deaths by smoking has decreased (since, say, the 70's) as less people smoke and many of the ones who did have already died.  
    Obesity is usually only a problem in affluent nations.   Kind of hard to get fat when you're starving.
      November 18, 2018 4:35 PM MST

So then you actually do agree with me? Smoking can keep weight off because inhaling all that hot burning chemically-laden smoke will kill your tastebuds which in turn makes food taste like crap so you eat less of it and when you stop smoking food tastes better so you eat more? Now I am totally confused Shuhak. It's ok. I confuse easily.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      November 19, 2018 3:16 AM MST

Let's see if i can clarify it a bit more.

* Yes smoking dulls (kills?) one's taste buds.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean a smoker will eat more or less food.

* Studies are inconclusive on whether or not quitting smoking will restore taste buds in everyone as it depends on many factors (e.g. age, how long one smoked, how much one smoked, (etc.).

*  Not all people who quit smoking gain weight.  Some people develop a healthy lifestyle (exercise, sensible eating habits, proper sleep, and such) which helps curb weight gain (just like in non-smokers).

* Those who do gain weight after quitting smoking do so for various reasons -
    --- using food to dull the craving for a smoke
    --- eating unhealthy foods (high colorestrol or calorie foods.
    --- eating more food (yes, possibly due to a partial or full return of taste buds).
      November 19, 2018 9:53 AM MST

Oh my gosh.  Using a poison to stop eating means you are eating the wrong foods.  So the diet will kill you and the cigarettes will too.  It's up to God to tell us which one will kill each individual faster, but a bad diet that causes overweight or a cigarette addiction are equally deadly.

People do not realize that food is medicine.  You don't put things in your body and expect the body to run well if it is the wrong fuel, the wrong medicine so to speak.  Each food has unique vitamins, minerals, etc. to keep the body cancer-free and in peak condition.  Free from ills and free from worry about Trump taking care of one's insurance problems.  If you take care of yourself, you have less reasons to see the doctor.

I know, Rosie, you had cancer. AND PLEASE DO NOT THINK I AM SAYING YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG TO YOURSELF.  Of course not.   I'm speaking of those who wouldn't change their diet or quit a poisonous habit even if they were told they had six months left if they don't quit.  You know those people.  You cannot tell them anything.  

Tragic; but it serves as a lesson to those of us who are still here and want to try to be healthy.   Because, trust me,  health DOES matter, as you know.

I would rather have a healthy body and no money than vice-versa.

Any day.  What good is life without health? 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 19, 2018 3:17 AM MST
      November 18, 2018 4:37 PM MST

I don't think for one minute that you are blaming me for getting cancer sweetie. Now 90% of lung cancer is caused by smoking. I had uterine cancer and there is no way to know what "caused" it. In fact my family was stunned when I was diagnosed with it. In our family I'm the one who promoted "NU" for decades. "NU" food was our code for nutritious. I told them all the things I found out about through the years. I got OLD SCHOOL to promise me he would read every label before he bought or ate anything. One of my victories. I preached that sermon to everyone who would listen. I am the healthiest among other members of my family. The reason I sailed through the months of chemo and got such a good result is that I was very healthy so the chemo they gave me was the strongest possible. I had no health problems. I am extremely well-versed in good nutrition Sharon. I never smoked. I think I told you years ago about my first attempt at the age of 10. I took a cigarette out of my uncle's pack of cigarettes. Went down to the basement, lit up and INHALED. I read that you had to inhale and SWALLOW the smoke so it would go out your nostrils which I thought was groovy at the time. My throat BURNED and I immediately got very nauseated. I cannot imagine what kind of person would go through that and keep at it just to "look cool". I don't give a rat's a** about  being cool or appearing to be cool or wanting folks to think I'm cool. I have never been cool a day in my life and guess what? So what? What a dumb reason to smoke! So I'm on board with those who value health and participate in their own self-survival by eating right and NOT SMOKING! Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 19, 2018 3:29 AM MST

• As a former smoker, I can tell you that neither of those are true.  It's an addiction.  For me, it started as a rebellious statement.  Had I known at 13 that I would become an addict, I might not have ever began.  I did quit when I was pregnant, but by the time my daughter was about five or six, that addiction crept back in again, and I allowed it. 
      November 18, 2018 4:41 PM MST

My only experience is second-hand lavender. My brother-in-law quit smoking cold turkey on his 50th birthday and my sis did the same. That's what they told me. They put on weight over time. My brother-in-law just made up is mind and had no problem quitting. It was my sis who struggled for months with it. Now they are avid anti-smoking folks. I guess it varies from person to person. I have read that a psychologucak addiction is much harder to break than a physiological addiction. I don't get smoking. The only time I tried it I was 10 and it burned my throat and I almost barfed. Why anyone would find that appealing escapes me. Different strokes lavender. So do you still smoke then or did you get that monkey off your back? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday  :)
      November 19, 2018 3:36 AM MST

• I agree, the psychological addiction is by far the hardest part of quitting.  When I quit this last time, over three years ago, I increased my workout to compensate for any potential weight gain, which seems to have helped.   
    I never understood the appeal of smoking either. I didn't even realize I had an addictive personality until I began, and for me that is all it was, an addiction.    Yes, it is different for everyone, and when I see smokers now, I am grateful that I have been able to  quit for good with no  moments of weakness
    Happy Monday to you as well!
      November 19, 2018 8:22 AM MST

• I agree, the psychological addiction is by far the hardest part of quitting.  When I quit this last time, over three years ago, I increased my workout to compensate for any potential weight gain, which seems to have helped.   
    I never understood the appeal of smoking either. I didn't even realize I had an addictive personality until I began, and for me that is all it was, an addiction.    Yes, it is different for everyone, and when I see smokers now, I am grateful that I have been able to  quit for good with no  moments of weakness
    Happy Monday to you as well!
      November 19, 2018 8:22 AM MST