Discussion » Questions » Communication » How come we teach children to share but we lose that concept when we become adults?

How come we teach children to share but we lose that concept when we become adults?

?

Posted - August 21, 2016

Responses

Because, when we're adults, 'sharing' is almost always referenced in the context of FORCE.  People resent being FORCED to 'share.'  When we're kids, all we'll face for not sharing is the opprobrium of our peers and a smattering of authority figures.  As adults, if we fail to provide "our fair share," we'll be threatened with jail and property confiscation.  If we resist this treatment, we can ultimately pay with our lives.

Listen up, kiddies, 'cuz you weren't taught this in scruel: sharing, like love and charity, is only meaningful when it's VOLUNTARY.  I guarantee you that Americans, at least, would be far more willing to give if they weren't FORCED to pay their "fair share."

August 22, 2016 12:03 AM MDT

Speak for yourself.  I am not selfish.  My friends and family are not selfish folk. 

August 22, 2016 2:00 AM MDT

Are you a conservative?  If so you're selfish.  But hey, it could be worse.  You could be a libertarian, and in that case you'd be the devil. :-)

August 22, 2016 2:57 AM MDT

I don't think that is necessarily true.

August 22, 2016 12:06 PM MDT

• Depends. If you live in a huge city try feeling like you want to "share" with everyone.... I know I don't. People feel so entitled to everything these days.

August 22, 2016 7:11 PM MDT

• I'm libertarian so I guess I'm the devil and proud of it :)

August 22, 2016 7:12 PM MDT

• I know. People always do the "right" thing.

August 22, 2016 7:21 PM MDT

Why do you call yourself Nimitz?  Does it have anything to do with the ship?

August 22, 2016 9:39 PM MDT