Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is how you speak the same as how you write? How would you describe your writing style? Straightforward fact-based/imaginative fantasy/both?

Is how you speak the same as how you write? How would you describe your writing style? Straightforward fact-based/imaginative fantasy/both?

Do you think others enjoy reading what you write? Do you get positive feedback from them about it? Do you write the same as what you enjoy reading? Is there anything distinctive about how you communicate?

Posted - November 30, 2018

Responses

Usually I speak the same way as I write---directly and dispositively and on a "take it or leave it" basis.

November 30, 2018 3:16 PM MST

I had to look up "dispositively" tom. Never heard it before. The definition confuses me. Can you unconfuse me please because I have no clue what it means.

DISPOSITIVE
    "Involving or affecting disposition or settlement"

Does that mean you always conclude? You make pronouncements? My way or the highway? Can you give me an example of  your being dispositive?  Setting that aside

I yam what I yam here there and everywhere I always sound the same. Years ago on Answerbag someone said that he "talked more simply, plainly and didn't use big words" when he was on an internet social site. I said "why would you change how you speak? Do you think others are so dumb they won't understand you?" Then he said he didn't want people to think he was showing off because he knew big words. I'm not kidding you. That was the heart of the conversation. I said I use whatever words occur to me wherever I am. Doing otherwise is insulting to others and means you think you are so much smarter than they are. I don't talk down to anyone. If folks don't understand a word I use  they can look it up in a dictionary. I have one huge dictionary on a table close by always available to me. I looked up "dispositively" immediately. Why can't they? Anyway I don't think I'm smarter than anyone just because the words I use might be  "BIG". That's being a phony and as you said take me or leave me because this is what you're gonna get! Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 1, 2018 3:43 AM MST