Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » If you are a healthy woman of child-bearing age, would you be a surrogate mother if asked? Why, or why not?

If you are a healthy woman of child-bearing age, would you be a surrogate mother if asked? Why, or why not?

Posted - August 24, 2016

Responses

I might consider doing it for a close family member, but probably not for a stranger.
      August 24, 2016 9:08 AM MDT

I'd do it for a huge bundle of money.  HUGE.  I am not about to compromise my body and time for nine months just so someone can have a kid. Fifty grand at least.  And that is a bargain. 

I am pro-adoption not pro-surrogacy.  I think it is an egoic affectation needing to have one's OWN kid. Utter rubbish to me.   ADOPT already.

August 24, 2016 9:20 AM MDT

Not in a million years!!

August 24, 2016 9:47 AM MDT

It's really hard to qualify to be a gestational surrogate. Most of the IVF docs will only work with someone of a certain BMI, which I will never fall into. I have offered to carry children for my sister and a woman who was my best friend growing up. My sister decided her one child was enough and the friend eventually became content with the fact that she'd never have children. For a stranger... I can't see me putting in the time at the gym that would be necessary to qualify, regardless of compensation.  Last I checked, I was about 40 pounds off from qualifying to work with a local agency here.

I am a HUGE fan of adoption as well, but I am blessed in that I effortlessly conceived, carried, and delivered three healthy kids on my own. On the other hand, I have seen the heartache my friends and family members have gone through as they get one negative pregnancy test after another or miscarry babies. It's just sad. I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy. I know a lot of people are still at odds over gay rights, but that's the other thing. Gay men can't have babies, obviously, but that doesn't mean they won't be wonderful parents. Lesbians can at least find a sperm donor and carry their own children, but men... they're totally out of luck.

Again, I am pro-adoption, but having your own kids is different. Even while I was pregnant, before medical tests could confirm, I "knew" my kids. I knew their genders and their names. I knew what they would look like. I knew their personalities. I think everyone deserves that kind of connection. Moreover, a lot of the folks that choose surrogacy have trouble adopting. I just read about a couple who had mothers change their minds three separate times at the last moment. Can you imagine trying to conceive for years, finally choosing adoption, setting up rooms, going to prenatal appointments for three babies, and coming home to an empty house after each one? :/

August 24, 2016 9:50 AM MDT

• I fully agree with you on adoption. There are so many children who can benefit by a good home and education and an emotionally wholesome environment; and at the same time bring warmth and love to a couple who has so much of it to give.

August 24, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

•   August 24, 2016 9:53 AM MDT

I know two women who couldn't conceive for years.  Both finally decided to adopt and, no sooner did they adopt, they each became pregnant and carried their own children to term. 

August 24, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

I've actually thought about it.
    But I know that actually carrying someone else's child through pregnancy can be a huge emotional and physical challenge. It probably wouldn't be my choice, even though I'm healthy.

I have been approved as an egg donor though, and so can help at least that much.
      August 25, 2016 12:23 AM MDT