Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » History » What do you do when people write history books and they are wrong? How do they get away with it?

What do you do when people write history books and they are wrong? How do they get away with it?

It amazes me how many books there are that are totally wrong about their subject matter! Do you ever find books like this?

Posted - August 24, 2016

Responses

If it is during a review process, write the editor or reviewing committee, point out the error and offer a correction.  Some history is clear, such as most dates, places and names (generally speaking).  However, the interpretation of some history is subjective and can be skewed by one's viewpoints.  Also, some details might get omitted by limitations of space or by the weight the editor(s) puts on it.

August 24, 2016 12:16 PM MDT

• I've seen a few, yes.  To be honest, it doesn't bother me unless the inaccuracy is deliberate.  

All historians make mistakes; it's just a function of the job.  The trick is to get the story right and as many of the details as you can.  Then, assuming you miss a few, hope the ones you got wrong or left out aren't that important and their exclusion doesn't make you look like an idiot.

But if someone is deliberately abusing known evidence, that generates nothing but contempt, and their 'story' can be dismissed, in whole or in part, as soon as I've identified the ideology they follow.

August 24, 2016 12:39 PM MDT

• History always has been a collective viewpoint written by the winners
      August 24, 2016 1:27 PM MDT