Discussion » Questions » Communication » Irrespective of whether you have a faith, what does the parable of the good Samaritan mean to you?

Irrespective of whether you have a faith, what does the parable of the good Samaritan mean to you?

How do you interpret the relevance of this to life in the modern world?

What does it mean to love your enemy?

It what ways could love in this way help to heal some of the woes in this world?

In what ways can we make our own contributions in daily life?

In the Gospel of Luke, the parable is introduced by a question which asked for clarification on a key word in the "Great Commandment."

Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"

He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, with all your mind, [Deut. 6:5]; and your neighbour as yourself [Lev. 19:18]."

He said to him, "You have answered correctly. Do this, and you will live."

But he, desiring to justify himself, asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbour?" -- Luke 10:25-29

Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he travelled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, 'Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.' Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbour to him who fell among the robbers?"

He said, "He who showed mercy on him."

Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." Luke 10:30-37

Posted - August 24, 2016

Responses

It is not between you and them it is between you and God. 

August 24, 2016 6:24 PM MDT

• Leaving religion and God out of it totally. .. helping people or letting those who have wronged you they ate sorry off easily leads to a much calmer life
      August 24, 2016 6:33 PM MDT

• That's interesting. Could you enlarge a bit more on what you mean?

For instance, the man the Samaritan rescued - would he not feel something new and different towards Samaritans in general, now that he knows it's possible that one would save his life while his own people ignored him? Does it not mean that he now carries less prejudice and hatred in his heart, because someone acted with love and saved his life, a stranger who just happened by?

Is your relationship with God an exclusive one to one, or does God see how you treat others as relevant to your spiritual growth?

And for people who are atheists (like myself) does the wisdom not apply equally well, irrespective of whether or not there is a God?

August 24, 2016 6:35 PM MDT

• I'm totally in agreement with you, ozgirl. Thank you! :)

August 24, 2016 6:37 PM MDT

The parable defines love: awareness of a need and taking care of it. What it means to this or that person depends on whether they will accept the lesson at all. The attitude of the fellow in the story is apparent in verse 29 "But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?"

August 25, 2016 2:29 AM MDT

• Yes, I think it defines love too.

My defintion: Love is that which consciously and willingly nurtures the well-being of life.

August 25, 2016 2:33 AM MDT