Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "You can be better than me". What we tell our children. If they are then you did a good job. Congrats. Did you tell them ?

"You can be better than me". What we tell our children. If they are then you did a good job. Congrats. Did you tell them ?

Posted - January 8, 2019

Responses

It is hard to describe someone that way.  I mean saying they are better than you.  I think anyone is better than I am at certain times.  But, I am not a bad person.  My daughter is a very good soul.  We both have made mistakes.  We both are blessed and have God in our lives.  I don't know if God would want me to think someone is better than I, or I being better than they are.  

I love my daughter.  I hope she has a good mom in me.
      January 8, 2019 4:54 PM MST

Normal parents want a better life for their children than they had. To that end some work multiple jobs to provide educational opportunities for their children. They take pride in that. I KNOW my son is a better person than I am. Is that all due to my being his mom? Of course not. BUT did I have something to do with it? You bet I did. I have never been proud of anything I've done EXCEPT I am very proud of the human being that was born because of me. He is so much more than I am. More intelligent, kinder, wiser, far more popular and likable.  He has achieved far more in life than I have. He has DONE something with his life. He had goals and he went after them and achieved them with distinction. I never did I still don't. If God is angry at me for feeling that way so be it. I remember how proud my parents were (neither of whom had a high school education) for any of my "accomplishments". Getting good grades, skipping grades in school, graduating, getting an A.A. degree in Liberal Arts. I was happy to make them proud of me. Now that is all I know Sharon. If you feel differently of course I cannot speak for you . Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at January 9, 2019 2:27 AM MST
      January 9, 2019 2:26 AM MST

I don't think GOD is ANGRY with you.  I think, from what I know about you, that you are a most excellent mom.   You are very maternal and caring.  

I think you misunderstood my words, I think you rock as a mom and a family member.
      January 9, 2019 10:09 AM MST

i dont often see my father, but he always encouraged me to do better in life, to 'push forward' .

like for example, search for a job so i could make money rather than live on the welfare.
      January 8, 2019 5:10 PM MST

Exactly franc! Precisely! My parents told me I could do or be anything I wanted in life if I were willing to work for it. Isn't that one of the jobs of a parent? Encouraging his/her child to do the best he/she can and not just try to get by doing very little? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wedesday! :)
      January 9, 2019 2:30 AM MST