Active Now

glenho
Discussion » Questions » Finance » When you began your Fed job, did you not give government shutdowns any consideration?

When you began your Fed job, did you not give government shutdowns any consideration?

Did you not know what you signed up for when you began?  This includes not getting paid during government shutdowns.  Whose fault is that?

Posted - January 12, 2019

Responses

Blaming the victims?  What are you suggesting, that any person considering any job offer, federal or otherwise, should turn it down if there's a possibility that something negative might happen?  People get laid off of jobs all the time, there are salary reductions, unexpected transfers, changes in work conditions, demotions, extra duties not covered in the job offer, expectations beyond one's abilities, training deficiencies, etc.  I don't see your angle.

:(
      January 12, 2019 11:39 AM MST

• Are you sure you don't?
      January 12, 2019 5:07 PM MST

I was a Federal employee during the last long shut down in the 1990s.  We had, as anyone who can should, enough money saved to see us through a couple of months without pay.  The shut down was a gift.  I got three weeks off "without pay," but as soon as the spending bill was passed, we got all our back pay.  I wish I could be that fortunate again.
      January 12, 2019 7:20 PM MST