Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Weather » why do new englanders clog up the grocery store like its the end of the world every time there is a snowstorm

why do new englanders clog up the grocery store like its the end of the world every time there is a snowstorm

YOU. LIVE. IN. NEW. ENGLAND.  GET USED TO IT

YOU DONT NEED SIX GALLONS OF MILK AND 240 BOTTLES OF WATER 

THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR

Posted - January 19, 2019

Responses

Happens everywhere. People do not want to be stuck in the house without necessities. 
      January 19, 2019 2:39 PM MST

• who NEEDS six gallons of milk for a weekend 
      January 19, 2019 2:41 PM MST

A really large family. We don't go through that much a weekend but we do use a gallon a day.  If I thought we would be shut in for close to a week, I would be buying like that. Lol
      January 19, 2019 2:47 PM MST

• I've lived in the Midwest and now the East Coast.  All of those folks clog up the grocery stores every time snow or even a lot of rain is predicted.  It's always the end of the world for some folks.  :)
      January 19, 2019 2:40 PM MST

• i get people want to prepare but its not even the apocalypse just relax 
      January 19, 2019 2:42 PM MST

• I guess having lived in Northern and Central IL most of my life ... snow storms just don't really worry me as much as people who haven't lived through so many biggies!  We just stay out of them as much as possible.  :)
      January 19, 2019 4:44 PM MST

• Of course they do!  Very dangerous conditions for many of us! Winter Storm Harper changed course and intensifies as it moves from Midwest to Northeast bringing up to 40 inches of snow and strong winds.  I guarantee if you are anywhere near this area you are running to the store to get supplies!  My store's  parking lot was full.  Who wants to be shut in by a wall of snow with no toilet paper!  lol This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2019 5:50 PM MST
      January 19, 2019 2:59 PM MST

I knew it was coming (I still is.). I prepared. We have plenty of food, there's water coming out of the faucet. We hardly drink milk. All we needed was smokes and beer.
      January 19, 2019 3:36 PM MST

• same here

i got a bottle of wine and a pint of ben and jerrys 
      January 19, 2019 3:46 PM MST

• I never understood that either.   Living in "earthquake country" and now apparently "fire country", I always have an emergency bag for the three of us - My husband, my dog, and me - on hand. I don't wait for warnings to grab milk and bread, nor would I grab milk or bread.   (a friend of mine in the south always laughs, because the masses seem to just wait for a warning, and then they just go for milk and bread, which is silly).   Always be prepared - like you said, you know this is going to happen - stock up on real things.
      January 19, 2019 5:19 PM MST

• plus it not like they never clean the streets

i obvs dont recommend anyone drive in the snow but the plows guys usually go all night clearing the snow 

unless there is an actual sno-pocalypse i doubt you will need to be holed up in your house for more than a few days

i have lived in new england my whole life and i will never understand why people act like the world is ending 
      January 19, 2019 6:39 PM MST

• I agree, elon.   My husband grew up in Buffalo. I don't recall what year that big blizzard was - maybe 1977 or 1978.   They always stored food for the crazy winters, including that big blizzard.  I think that's just what people do...or should do in case the power goes out.  But running out last minute and stocking up on things, especially people who grew up out there and know the deal every year...weird.  The bread and milk thing though..hilarious. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2019 7:17 PM MST
      January 19, 2019 7:17 PM MST

We try to prepare so the storms won't kill us. 
      January 19, 2019 6:15 PM MST