Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What about the rest of us that are not affected by Oxycontin's addictive properties but use it for pain and put it down?

What about the rest of us that are not affected by Oxycontin's addictive properties but use it for pain and put it down?

I often have a prescription for Oxycontin lying around because I never use the full bottle.  I don't need to keep using them.  They work for me.  I can take a few and keep the rest for emergencies for the next several months or years.

So, why can't I have my oxy without being judged just because little Jimmy cannot stop eating them like candy?

Posted - January 25, 2019

Responses

• I don't see how anyone can be addicted to it. My mom took it after hip surgery and it made her really nauseous. I guess if you take enough of it, you become immune to the nausea. 

As long as you don't become addicted, I don't see the problem. 
      January 25, 2019 10:20 AM MST

Most people do not get nauseated.  I get nauseated from Vicodin, so I understand.

There is just no way to monitor who takes what drug and have it not be a danger to some people.  I am all for oxycodone restriction, but they will just invent another danger, so I don't think that the way they monitor people is effective.
      January 25, 2019 10:27 AM MST

My wife had an acquaintance who became wealthy selling them. Her doctor wrote unlimited scrips for her. He lost his license.
      January 25, 2019 11:10 AM MST

Shades of Rush Limbaugh.
      January 25, 2019 11:16 AM MST

My brother-in-law is addicted to them to the point he has to get them on the street. I am like Sharon...I will take one of my wife's maybe once a month if my sciatica flares up badly. She has an ongoing script for four a day, but rarely takes more than three.  Oh, they also keep me awake. I don't need that. This post was edited by Element 99 at January 25, 2019 6:10 PM MST
      January 25, 2019 11:08 AM MST

I cannot believe what people will do for this very mild (to me anyway) drug.  

I am so sorry for your brother.  I know because I am an addict, what triggers me.  Pills do not as a rule do it.  It was booze.   I could not put that one down.  And weed?   Well, it is hard to say that it does harm but I chose to use it to the point where I started to wonder what was the line I needed to draw.  Here was what I could see that was different.  I would not worry if I didn't have any.  I could function.  My bills got paid and I never got fired because of it.  

So, I was a semi-addict where pot was concerned.
      January 25, 2019 11:12 AM MST

Looks like you have been tresspassing agin.  :  I
      January 25, 2019 1:33 PM MST

I don't understand how anyone thinks the pharmacies dispensing the drug are at fault.
    The pharmacies are just following the prescription of the doctor.
    The pharmacist has no idea of the patient's medical history - what their pain tolerance is, or how much drug is necessary to relieve it.

The irony of people calling for stricter controls on health information - then filing a lawsuit that the only remedy for will be to release MORE health information.
      January 25, 2019 2:35 PM MST

I'm the same way. I took them for one day when I had my wisdom teeth out and one day when I had my tubal ligation/ ablation. I took them for two days after my c-sections. That was it. I was done. I've never finished a full prescription. I don't like the way they make me feel and only use them when I'm in serious pain. 

That being said, I don't think anybody is "judging" you. There's an opioid epidemic in our country. Doctors dished them out without much forethought about their addictive properties and without much patient follow-up. People in pain developed high tolerances to them and active addictions. People got them to get high. Now people are dying and ruining their lives in alarming numbers and there aren't enough resources to help them all. There must be protocols in place. 

Do you feel judged because the law says you have to wear a seat belt while driving? How about when you buy Sudafed for a cold and you have to show ID? I don't. I find it disheartening that the law needs to be in place, but I also recognize it has nothing to do with me.
      January 25, 2019 5:34 PM MST

• some people just have addictive personalities 

it's very strange to me 

i took adderal  xr for years and never became addicted. i quit cold turkey and felt no desire to take another 

i was prescribes vicodin once but stopped taking it after a few doses because it gave me constipates 

ive taken a lot of narcotics for anxiety and depression and never became addicted, plus based on how most of them made me feel i can't imagine abusing them and feeling like that all the time 

it really do be that way sometimes 
      January 25, 2019 6:00 PM MST

• There are some of us who can tolerate small doses of addictive prescriptions without becoming addicted.  I had anxiety when allergies put fluid in both ears and my balance was compromised.  I couldn't sleep and had allergic migraines 24/7.  One doctor gave me the lowest dose of Xanax. It was a miracle at the time! I took a half of a pill only on the bad nights to relax enough to sleep.  One bottle of 30 pills would last six months.  Eventually my Dr quit prescribing it for me:(  My next  doctor an allergist gave me an Rx for one bottle of 30 once a year!  When  he retired my new doctor flatly refused. Oh well, I am doing fine without it.  I seldom tell anyone this story for the same reasons you give about your medication.  It was good to have it in case of emergency.   I really needed it years ago!
      January 26, 2019 12:36 PM MST

It is your life.
      January 27, 2019 8:11 AM MST