Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » does it bother you when you have a minor illness and someone insists you see a doctor

does it bother you when you have a minor illness and someone insists you see a doctor

and i don't mean like you're having chest pain and your wife is telling you to see a doctor, i mean like when you have an illness that typically goes away on its own (strep, sinus infection, pink eye) and people insist you NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR OR PINK EYE WILL KILL EVERYONE. this is why we have anti biotic resistant super BUGS

i have a sinus infection !!!!

Posted - January 31, 2019

Responses

• People love to tell us what to do .. but you don't have to listen.  Some people go to the doctor for a hang nail.  I'm not a fan of doctors so I try to stay away as much as possible.  You're an adult, you decide if you want to go.
      January 31, 2019 7:47 AM MST

Yes. But if it gets worse or you have more symptoms, you should go to the doctor. 
    An infection can spread to other parts and get really bad. I don't go to the Doc for minor issues either.
      January 31, 2019 7:48 AM MST

• i usually only go if it gets to the point where i get a fever because i feel like that is a bad sign 
      January 31, 2019 9:31 AM MST

• I am allergic to many antibiotics, so people with infections who refuse treatment tend to piss me off when they are contagious, like pink eye, strep, etc.  Sinus infections aren't contagious, and if you absolutely refuse treatment, even knowing that an untreated infection can cause a secondary infection, and you're an adult, that's on you.  As long as you're not the DB that comes to work contagious, I am cool with it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 31, 2019 9:49 AM MST
      January 31, 2019 8:00 AM MST

• pink eye can be viral too which can't be treated, it just seems irresponsible to me to hand someone antibiotics if they don't even need them, especially with all the anti biotic resistant bacteria there is now. i've seen people give there anti biotics to other people to use just because they have the slightest cough. they treat it likes it's ibuprofen 
      January 31, 2019 9:26 AM MST

• Your doctor is the one to determine whether an infection is viral or not.    As an adult, you have the option to deny treatment.  If a co worker, family, friend, etc notices your pink eye, how are they to assume it's viral?   If you are walking out of your house looking like a contagious sick person, expect people to comment on it, whether you are contagious or not.  Champagne problems.... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 31, 2019 3:53 PM MST
      January 31, 2019 9:43 AM MST

• the best course of action is to stay home 
      January 31, 2019 9:57 AM MST

• Absolutely.
      January 31, 2019 10:04 AM MST

It does bother me.  If anyone else asks me,  they might need a doctor. 
      January 31, 2019 8:03 AM MST

Actual strep is nothing to F around with and usually should be treated with antibiotics to prevent serious complications. 

Most respiratory infections and conjunctivitis are viral and will resolve without the need for a doctor visit or prescription medication.  

That being said, I don't like people telling me to go to the doctor, even if they mean well. I'm saving my money for a serious illness. I can't afford to be running to the doctor for every little thing. 
      January 31, 2019 8:22 AM MST

• It's "advice" that will typically fall on my deaf ears. That kinda stuff I'll just put up with and find some fun over the counter stuff to medicate with.  
      January 31, 2019 8:45 AM MST

Yes it does. I would tell them to bugger off or I will cough at their general direction.
      January 31, 2019 8:46 AM MST

• This reminds me of Monty Python. 
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of Nyquil.” 
      January 31, 2019 8:51 AM MST

If I'm out in public spreading contagious diseases to others then I have to be prepared for them to speak their mind. 
      January 31, 2019 9:22 AM MST

• just stay home i guess. if i'm that sick i would just stay home until i'm no longer coughing or doing anything that could spread. i wouldn't run to the doctors for something  passes on its own 
      January 31, 2019 9:30 AM MST

• Well I am pretty good at getting myself over minor illness. Even last year in the UK with the flu! But I am wise enough to know when things I am trying are not working.  Then I get to the clinic.  Last year at Xmas I had an eye infection, conjunctivitis that would not go away and needed two different antibiotic eye drops to clear up!  My vision is too precious to risk it by hoping it would go away on its own!  I agree oral antibiotics are often used too much and I have had serious allergic reactions to them. Once I had an ambulance take me to the hospital, so I haven't used them in years. Terrified of another allergic reaction.
      January 31, 2019 9:35 AM MST

Strep doesn't usually clear up on its own, nor does pink eye.  You can die from an untreated strep infection.  Pink eye is contagious, so if you don't treat it, you will likely give it to someone else or continue to re-infect yourself.  Sometimes a sinus infection will clear up on its own, but more likely, it will get worse and then you'll have to see a doctor for an even stronger antibiotic.  The reason we have antibiotic resistant super bugs  is because doctors prescribe antibiotics for non-bacterial infections (viral infections) and/or people stop taking a prescribed course of antibiotics when they feel better rather than finishing the entire course of treatment.  Any bacteria that remains when you stop taking your meds becomes stronger.
      January 31, 2019 9:48 AM MST

• YES.  You hit all of the nails.
      January 31, 2019 2:58 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      January 31, 2019 9:37 PM MST